A position as an associate professor is the second step in an academic career at KTH.
An associate professorate KTH is a part of a strategic area that takes joint responsibility for a broad research and development area, while at the same time giving a creative environment and space for the individual researcher to develop.
Associate professors must establish themselves in the international research front through publishing, international co-operation and their own external research funding. An associate professor has responsibility for undergraduate and masters' studies, through teaching and examination, as well as developing the undergraduate and masters' studies through course development and teaching with new methods. Associate professors develop their leadership in order to be able to assume management tasks of different types. An associate professor is the principal supervisor for doctoral students. Upon applying for a promotion to professor, the same entry requirements apply as for advertised professor positions, see appendix 1.1.
Job duties for associate professor
- Must participate actively in development and execution of training at the first, second and third cycle levels.
- Must normally be the principal supervisor for research students.
- Must work actively with research, normally within a research group.
- Must be seeking own research funds and ought to be leading own research project.
- Ought to be participating actively in the scholarly community and assume tasks such as being a referee, expert advisor, opponent or lecturer.
- Must give younger co-workers support and feedback in education and research
- Must participate in change work as well as internal and external faculty work.
- Must take part in exchanges of knowledge with the surrounding world.