Who may become an honorary doctor?
Guidelines for the selection of honorary doctors at KTH
Adopted by the the Faculty Council on 20 March 2012.
The purpose of the appointment of honorary doctors is to honour individuals who have done outstanding work while at the same time providing KTH with positive attention.
Criteria for eligibility
These criteria provide guidance on who may be eligible to be appointed as an honorary doctor.
It is always desirable to have a clear link with the KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
1. A person working outside Sweden who, in the KTH sphere of pursuits, greatly facilitated activities at KTH through significant collaboration.
2. A person within the country and in the KTH sphere of pursuits who has independently performed extensive research, professional activities or other actions of public benefit.
Criteria against eligibility
These criteria provide guidance on who are not eligible to be appointed as an honorary doctor.
1. Honorary doctorates are not awarded posthumously.
2. An employee and/or doctor of technology at KTH will not normally be eligible.
3. A person who is already an honorary doctor of technology at a Swedish university will not normally be eligible.
4. A person with political or legal influence over KTH cannot become an honorary doctor.
5. A person who cannot or does not wish to attend the ceremony for conferring a doctorate cannot become an honorary doctor.