Master's programme in Production Engineering and Management
The Master's programme in Production Engineering and Management is designed to provide production knowledge and skills with a holistic perspective.
After graduating from the programme, the students will have:
- Basic understanding of various dimensions and functions of the broad field of production.
- Analytical skills needed to tackle the ever-changing problems and situations of modern competitive production.
- Conceptual and reasoning skills with appropriate decision support methods and tools used in production management.
- Communication and presentation skills necessary for leadership positions.
- Understanding of how environmental and cultural differences effect the production process.
- Understanding o the need for and requirements on sustainable and energy efficient production processes.
This programme will provide the learning base on which competence for a professional engineering career can be built, as both engineering and management aspects of production, and their integration are covered. The engineering aspect includes shop floor technology, e.g. operation and integration of manufacturing equipment; automation technology; production development tools and methods; software used by engineers, while the managerial aspect covers systematic decision making, operations strategy, planning, control and management of resources during development and operations of manufacturing systems. The programme has three focus areas: Production development, Production management, and Industrial IT systems. There is a set of mandatory courses for all students of the programme, and another set of courses for students of each focus area. Moreover, the students have the possibility to combine further elective courses on an individual basis, as long as they fulfil the prerequisites of each course.
As production is global, graduates from our programme will be able to find positions as technical specialists, production developers, production engineers, production managers or consultants in various production fields, all over the world.
Topics for Degree projects are selected within the focus areas of Production development, Industrial IT systems and Production management. The projects can be carried out in cooperation with the department’s research groups, with companies or with other universities, in Sweden or abroad.