BB2310 Research Topics in Biotechnology 7.5 credits
Aktuella forskningsområden inom bioteknologi
This course is dormant.
Educational levelSecond cycle
Academic level (A-D)D
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
The aim of this course is to highlight state-of-the-art biotechnological methods that are used both in academic and industrial context. Students will be assigned a project and guided to discover cutting-edge technologies that can be used to solve real life problems.
The students will actively participate on a literature workshop comprising two parts. The first part is focused on identifying biotechnological methods relevant to the assigned project. The second part of the course will focus on designing an approach to solve real life problems. The subjects will be selected based on information provided by the students (exam work project). During the course the students will both prepare oral presentations on selected topics and will oppose to other presented topics.
The student should after completion and passing the course (grade E) be able to:
- describe and explain latest advances in gene technology, proteomic technology and bioprocess technology at the frontiers of knowledge,
- recognize and explain their application area(s),
- participate in scientific discussions regarding the usefulness of the techniques for a given approach,
Students that achieve greater understanding will obtain higher grades if they are able to:
- design strategies to solve real life problems and critically asses selected strategies by identifying advantages and limitation,
- recognize obstacles raised by employed techniques in analyzing a specific issue and suggest complementing strategies to avoid them,
- identify possible new application areas for biotechnological methods as well as identify future trends in these field.
Course main content
Master students in Biotechnology/Biochemistry/Chemistry/Biology or similar.
Handouts and peer reviewed articles.
- PRO1 - Project, 7.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Project assignments, written report and oral presentation (PRO1, 7,5 credits, grading scale A-F).
Attendance at all seminars is mandatory.
Cristina Al Khalili Szigyarto, email@example.com, tel. +46 8 553 783 17
Stefan Ståhl, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prerequisites: Students should have chosen a project for their master thesis.
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.