DD1343 Computer Science and Numerical Methods, part 1 7.5 credits
Datalogi och numeriska metoder, del 1
A basic course in computing science and Matlab.
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)A
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
PeriodsAutumn 12 P1 (3.0 credits), P2 (1.5 credits)
Spring 13 P3 (3.0 credits)
Start date2012 week: 34
End date2013 week: 11
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures6 (preliminary)
Number of exercises
Form of studyNormal
Number of placesNo limitation
ScheduleSchedule (new window)
TeacherVahid Mosavat <email@example.com>
Compulsary: CELTE1 but available for all programs
Part of programme
After passed course the student is expected to be able to:
- utilize computers to solve technical problems
- break down problems into smaller manageable problems
- create user friendly and well-structured programs
- discuss concepts in computer science with correct terms
- find and use right technique for a given problem
- utilize Matlab for graphic utilization.
In more details the student is expected to be able to:
- utilize right technique to manage error caused by unsuitable program inputs
- create flexible programs
- find and use right data structure and technique for a given problem
- write technical documentation for your own programs.
Course main content
Introduction to how a computer works and introduction to computer hardware. Programming in a modern programming language (Python). Computer science concepts such as structures for algorithms and data. Principles for data abstraction, modularization, and program structuring.
During the second year the theoretical knowledge is applied in a programming project.
High school mathematics (scientific program). Some computer experience (the concepts of operating system and file and experience from one computer application, e.g. word processing). 5B1115/SF1608 Matematik I.
Will be announced at least 4 weeks before course start at course web page.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 3.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- MAT1 - Calculation Tasks, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
In this course all the regulations of the code of honor at the School of Computer science and Communication apply, see: http://www.kth.se/csc/student/hederskodex/1.17237?l=en_UK.
Requirements for final grade
Laboratory assignments (LAB1; 3 university credits)
Written examination (TEN1; 3 university credits)
Laboratory assignment in Matlab (MAT1; 1,5 university credits)
Vahid Mosavat, e-post: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vahid Mosavat <email@example.com>
Only one of the following courses can be counted in your degree: DD100N, DD1310, DD1311, DD1312, DD1314, DD1315, DD1340, DD1341, DD1342, DD1343, DD1345, DN1212, HI1024, HI1026, ID1004, ID1301.
DN1243 Computer Science and Numerical Methods, part 2.
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.