HE1037 Data- and Telecommunication 10.0 credits
Data- och telekommunikation
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
PeriodsAutumn 12 P2 (10.0 credits)
Start date2012 week: 43
End date2013 week: 1
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures
Number of exercises
Form of studyNormal
Number of placesNo limitation
ScheduleSchedule (new window)
Part of programme
To provide fundamental knowledge about the process of electronic communication
After passing the course you should be able to
• Explain important concepts and terminology within the communication field
• Describe the basic components in a communication system
• Analyse signals in the domain of time and frequency
• Explain the difference between digital and analogue signals and the coversion between them
• Describe the fundamentals for TCP/IP-based communicationfunction
• Calculate the data rate in a data channel
• Describe analogue and digital methods of modulation
• Apply the theory about coding and modulation in a communication system
• Describe in what way noise, damping and interference influence the signal in a transmission media
• Describe the appearance of electromagnetic waves and perform a link budget calculation
• Discuss and compare different ways of sollving particular problems in the communication process
Course main content
• Signals in the domain of time and frequency
• Fourier series
•Influence on the signal:
network for limitation of bandwidth, damping, sampling and PCM converting
• Analogue and digital modulation.
• Data transmission: Bandwidth, media of transmission.
• Data rate versus modulation rate and bandwidth versus pulse width.
• Transmission systems: cables (forward and reflected power)
• Antennas and wave propagation
• Equipments in and functions of computer networks.
• The function of protocols in local networks
• Applications: wired and wireless communication systems
To take the course the student need basic knowledge of mathematics, circuit theory and electronics.
Wallander, Per, 17 lektioner i TELEKOMMUNIKATION, Perant AB, ISBN 91-86296-10-8
Kihl, Maria, Datorkommunikation, En inledande översikt, Studentlitteratur, ISBN 9789144008172
- LAB1 - Lab Work, 3.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- NÄR1 - Attendance, 1.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN2 - Examination, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
To get the lower grades the student kust be able to describe och perform calculations on individual systems using a handbook.
To get the higher grades a deeper understanding for the connection between the different functions and properties is required.
The final grade is based mainly on the written exams. Grading A-F.
STH/Computer and Electrical Engineering
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 12.