HI1018 Communication Networks 7.5 credits
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)C
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
Course main content
- Layered architectures of protocols and networks. The OSI model and the Internet protocols.
- The physical layer: transmission media, coding, and modulation.
- Transmission networks: pulse code modulation (PCM), multiplexing, networks based on synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH), optical networks
- The data link layer: error detection, error control, retransmission, link utilization
- Local area networks: network topologies, access methods, DSMA/CD, LAN standards, bridges and switches
- The network layer: addressing, routing, packet switching, circuit switching and cell-based switching
- The Internet protocol. Routing protocols.
- Telephony networks: ISDN, mobile networks, signaling
- Virtual circuit networks: cell-based networks, frame relay
- Network planning and applied traffic theory
Basic knowledge in data communication, e.g. HI1000 Data communication and networks and HE1001 Telecommunication
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 3.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- RED1 - Account, 4.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Passed exam (TEN1; 4,5 cr.), credit rate A-F
Passed lab assignments (LAB1; 3 cr.), credit rate A-F
In total, credit rate A-F
STH/Computer and Electrical Engineering
Thomas Lind, firstname.lastname@example.org
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.