KD1020 Introductory Chemistry 6.0 credits
Introduction to Chemical Science studies.
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)A
Subject areaChemistry and Chemical Engineering
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
PeriodsAutumn 13 P1 (6.0 credits)
Start date2013 week: 36
End date2013 week: 44
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures26 (preliminary)
Number of exercises20 (preliminary)
Form of studyNormal
Number of places *Min. 7
*) The Course date may be cancelled if number of admitted are less than minimum of places.
ScheduleSchedule (new window)
Course responsibleTore Brinck <email@example.com>
TeacherElisabet Brännvall <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Michael Malkoch <email@example.com>
Anna Carlmark Malkoch <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Olof Ramström <email@example.com>
Anna Finne Wistrand <firstname.lastname@example.org>
CBIOT study year 1
Part of programme
To give the students
- an overview of the different parts of chemistry and how these are connected
- basic knowledge about the structure and properties of chemical compounds
- ability to perform stoichiometric and thermochemical calculations
- basic skills in laboratory work
- training in reading chemical literature in English.
Course main content
- Chemical equations, stoichiometry, thermochemistry.
- An overview of methods used in modern chemistry e.g. chromatography, spectroscopy, diffraction methods.
- The basic principles of chemistry: the chemical bond, chemical equilibrium, reactivity.
- Laboratory exercises: laboratory safety, synthesis and analysis.
Completed upper secondary education including documented proficiency in English corresponding to English A. For students who received/will receive their final school grades after 31 December 2009, there is an additional entry requirement for mathematics as follows: documented proficiency in mathematics corresponding to Mathematics A.
And the specific requirements of mathematics, physics and chemistry corresponding to Mathematics E, Physics B and Chemistry A.
Chemistry 3: Introducing Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry Andy Burrows, Andy Parsons, Gareth Price
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Examinaton, TEN1;4,5 credit
Laboratory course, LAB1;1,5 credit
Tore Brinck <email@example.com>
Mandatory course for programme CBIOT study year 1
The course is not open for other students.
Will replace 3B1700
Other chemistry courses.
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.