LI3116 Scientific Publishing, Information Retrieval and Bibliometrics 3.0 credits
Vetenskaplig publicering, information retrieval och bibliometri
Educational levelThird cycle
Academic level (A-D)D
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
On completion of the course, the student shall be able to:
*describe the history and present state of the field of scientific communication.
*describe and critically analyze different models of scientific publishing from a subject - specific perspective
*explain and critically discuss basic bibliometric methods for evaluation and description of science
*explain and critically discuss different evaluation and ranking systems of science in the sciences
*describe the structure and indexing in scientific reference databases
*apply a number of important algorithms within information retrieval
*apply relevant tools for productive use of results, and
*employ established norms for references and citations.
Course main content
More specifically, on completion of the course, the student shall know the important paths which constitute scientific communication and how these can be utilized so as to improve the student's own publication strategies.
The student should be admitted as a PhD-student at KTH. Exception can be made after mutual agreement. PhD-students at KTH have precedence.
Aktuell litteraturlista anslås på kursens webbsida, i Bilda eller KTH Social före kursstart.
-Dessutom tillkommer relevant litteratur beroende på valda inlämningsuppgifter.
-Bibliografi i urval:
1. W Glänzel,”Bibliometrics as a research field: A course on theory and application of bibliometric indicators”, 2003 http://nsdl.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/968/1/Bib_Module_KUL.pdf
2. FredrikÅström m.fl., Celebrating scholarly communication studies : A Festschrift for Olle Persson at his 60th Birthday, 2009 http://umu.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:232838
3. Anne-Wil Harzing, The Publish or Perish Book
4. H. F. Moed, Citation analysis in research evaluation, Information science and knowledge management, 1568-1300 ; 9 (Dordrecht: Springer, 2005).
5. Manning m.fl, Introduction to Information Retrieval (Cambridge:CUP, 2008).
Requirements for final grade
A pass mark requires a pass mark on XUPP 3.0 credits, which is manifested in satisfactory results on the following points:
1. active participation in all seminars with discussion and presentation of own and other people's work
2. satisfactory results in written and oral exercises
3. attendance at all mandatory sessions
Note: the assignments and written examination shall all be done individually by each student; group work is not allowed.
Göran Hamrin,08-790 8951,firstname.lastname@example.org;Klemens Karlsson, Maria Unger/Rosa Lönneborg
Course plan valid from: Autumn 12.