MH3253 Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer 6.0 credits
Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer
This course is dormant.
Educational levelThird cycle
Academic level (A-D)D
Grade scaleP, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
The course treats the fluid flow and heat transfer phenomena that occur during the processes confronted in materials processing using an analytical approach. The physical processes are analytically described and the resulting equations are analysed and simplified to attain results that show the general behaviour of the system studied.
Course main content
After completed course you will know:
- How to model physical systems,
- Fundamental equations,
- Concept of mass, momentum and energy, scaling and simplification,
- Boundary layers and dimensionless groups,
- Heat conduction,
- Transient phenomena,
- Phase change,
- Newtonian flow,
- Heat transfer and fluid flow,
- Temperature dependant viscosity and viscous dissipation,
- Buoyancy driven flow,
- Mass transfer and solidification microstructures,
- Solid state diffusion.
In the course a short introduction to Matlab is given and home assignment given to show Proficiency in using Matlab as a tool to solve problems.
Modelling in materials processing, Dantzig & Tucker
Additional material will be handed out during lectures and exercises.
- HEM1 - Assignment, 3.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- NÄR1 - Attendance, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
Examination (TEN1; 1,5 cr)
Home assignments (HEM1; 3 cr), Attendance (NÄR; 1,5 cr)
ITM/Materials Science and Engineering
Tekn Dr Anders Eliasson, firstname.lastname@example.org, PhD student Björn Glaser, email@example.com
Professor Sichen Du
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.