SF1613 Mathematics 2 12.0 credits
This course is in the process of being cancelled.
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)A
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Last planned examination: Spring 14
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
- To provide good skills and understanding in basic linear algebra, in calculus in several variables and in elementary vector calculus.
- To be able to apply these skills to problems in the engineering sciences.
- To encounter different modes of teaching.
- To provide skills in oral and written presentations of mathematics.
Course main content
Systems of linear equations, matrices and determinants. The vector spaces Rn. Base and dimension. Linear mappings. Change of basis. Eigenvalues, eigenvectors and diagonalization. Quadratic forms.
Numerical series and power series.
Calculus in several variables. Continuity, differentiability, linear approximation. Partial derivatives, differentials, gradient. The chain rule. Extreme value problems. Multiple integrals, geometric applications.
Curves in the plane and curves in space. Orientable surfaces. Introductory vector calculus.
The course also connects to mathematical education by treating for example oral and written presentations of mathematics and the use of calculators and mathematical software.
SF1623 Mathematics I for CL.
Andersson Lennart m.fl. : Linjär algebra med geometri.
Persson&Böiers/Analys i flera variabler.
LTH/Övningar i analys i flera variabler.
- ANN1 - Assignment, , grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Examination, 12.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN2 - Examination, 7.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN3 - Examination, 4.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Normally the examination consists of TEN1 (12 hp), continuous examination combined with a final written exam, and ANN1 (0 hp, compulsory) on a selected topic in the didactics of mathematics.
TEN1 may under certain circumstances be replaced by TEN2 (7,5 hp) and TEN3 (4,5 hp).
TEN2 corresponds to the following parts of the course: linear algebra, curves in the plane and curves in space and differential calculus and extreme value problems for functions of several variables.
TEN3 corresponds to series, multiple integrals and introductory vector calculus.
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.