SI3010 Seminar Course in Theoretical Physics 7.5 credits
Seminariekurs i teoretisk fysik
Educational levelThird cycle
Academic level (A-D)D
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
After completed course, the PhD student should be able to:
- write a personally composed report on a topic in modern theoretical physics,
- use the typesetting program LaTeX,
- present a report at a seminar,
- critically evaluate another person's report and seminar,
- have a general knowledge of different topics in modern theoretical physics.
Course main content
The course is a student and PhD student seminar series in topics from modern theoretical physics such as quantum mechanics, condensed matter theory, elementary particle physics, astroparticle physics, and cosmology. The concept of the student seminars is similar to the one of the German "Proseminar".
Quantum Physics and Relativity or equivalent prerequisites.
- P. Jacobsson, Introduktion till LaTeX, Studentlitteratur (2004) [or equivalent]
- Hand-out material and "online material" as well as the students' reports.
- The students should search for references themselves (with supervision from the coordinator) to their reports and seminars.
Requirements for final grade
A exam about the typesetting program LaTeX. An own written report, oral presentation of the report in form of a seminar and oral and written objection on another student's report and seminar as well as 75 % attendance of all meetings and seminars.
Tommy Ohlsson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Course plan valid from: Spring 09.