Doctoral students in mathematics - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
This advert is no longer available!
School of Engineering Sciences at KTH
Third-cycle subject: Mathematics
Applications are invited within the areas listed below. For further details, please contact the corresponding advisor. Applications in other areas may also be considered; inquiries may be directed to the head of the Ph.D. program.
The Ph.D. student positions primarily involve graduate studies with the goal of a doctoral degree. Some departmental duties are included, mainly teaching basic level courses. Here is general information on doctoral studies at KTH and information about the graduate program in mathematics.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- At the division of mathematics, there are lively research groups in a number of areas, for example algebra and geometry, combinatorics, complex analysis, differential geometry and general relativity, dynamical systems, harmonic analysis, mathematical physics, number theory, numerical analysis, partial differential equations, and spectral theory. At the moment, there are about 25 graduate students at the division.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
A Master's thesis (or equivalent), preferably in mathematics, is required and must be completed before employment.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
In addition to traditional academic merits, a degree project or master's thesis relevant for the specialization, international experience, and language skills are regarded as merits. Applicants must be strongly motivated for doctoral studies, possess the ability to work independently and perform critical analysis, and possess good levels of cooperative and communicative abilities.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Samples of your mathematical writing, e.g. Master’s thesis, Bachelor’s thesis, technical report or paper. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- The applicant should also arrange for at least two reference letters to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||3|
|Last application date||10.Jan.2023 11:59 PM CET|