Doctoral student in cloud robotics - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
This advert is no longer available!
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
We are looking for a Ph.D. student to work on Machine Learning-based methodologies for robotic manipulation with a focus on large-scale cloud-based robotic systems where multiple robots are utilized to collect training data in parallel at scale.
This position will focus on the development of robust and scalable machine learning methodologies for robotic object manipulation and transfer-learning of robotic manipulation policies trained on a cloud-robotics system under development at KTH and which will feature both local and cloud-based compute infrastructure.
Supervision: Associate Professor Florian Pokorny is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission.
The position is at the division of Robotics, Perception, and Learning (RPL). The position is part of and funded by the Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP), the largest individual research program in Sweden. In particular, the student will work within a new ambitious WASP NEST project “Intelligent Cloud Robotics for Real-Time Manipulation at Scale” in collaboration with co-Pis Monowar Bhuyan, Erik Elmroth (Umeå University), and Martina Maggio (Lund University).
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salaries according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement.
- Postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as a study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second-cycle degree (for example a master's degree),
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH, you need to be goal-oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyze and work with complex issues, and
- program software.
Experience in topics related to robotics, planning algorithms, and/or formal methods is merit. Being open and enthusiastic to learn about them is a must.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as doctoral students. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for the doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are, and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages. Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about the processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||In agreement with supervisor|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||15.Apr.2022 11:59 PM CEST|