Postdocs in tunnel and dam engineering
School of Architecture and Built Environment at KTH
The Division of Soil and Rock Mechanics is searching for two postdocs to be employed in the group. The postdocs will be working in a joint research project connected to the implementation of the 2nd generation of Eurocode 7 to design of rock tunnels and hydropower dams. These two types of structures are not within the scope of the present Eurocode. A substantial work is therefore needed to ensure that the 2nd Eurocode generation and its practical application provide acceptable safety to such structures for Swedish geotechnical conditions.
Concerning tunnels in rock, the research project aims to develop a scientific basis for the writing of a potential completely new part of Eurocode 7 on design of rock tunnels. Concerning hydropower dams, the research project aims to facilitate a cost-effective implementation of
the 2nd generation of Eurocode 7 to dam foundations on rock. Applicability to hard crystalline rock shall be considered, as such geological conditions are very common in Scandinavia. The specific research questions concern:
- ) potential alternatives to the partial factor method for verification of structural safety, e.g. the design value method and the quantile value method,
- ) how design values and characteristic values shall be determined for rock mass properties in the verification of structural safety, and
- ) how limit states shall be verified for rock–structure interaction problems.
For both tunnels and dams, we plan to conduct detailed calculation examples and case studies. Both analytical and numerical calculation methods may be needed. The research results are expected to be published in international scientific journals and at international and national conferences. The results will also be discussed continually with experts from the Swedish construction industry.
The employment also includes some project administration, as well as teaching duties at bachelor or master level within the postdoc’s competence area, equivalent to about 10% of the time. The postdocs will be supervised by Dr. Fredrik Johansson and Dr. Johan Spross.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- Read more about the Division of Soil and Rock Mechanics here.
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Demonstrated research excellence from at least one of the following areas: rock engineering, dam engineering or reliability-based design (experience from more than one area is considered a strong merit).
- Good command of the English language, both orally and written, as it's required in the daily work.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experience of practical design work of tunnels, dams, or other geotechnical structures.
- Previous publication in high-quality scientific journals.
- Strong motivation for research and having the ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
- Documented teaching skills and teaching experience from bachelor or master level.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency and that the two employed postdocs complement each other with respect to the project scope.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application shall include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account (max 2 pages) of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Include brief statements on the relevance of your uploaded publications for this position.
- Maximum of 10 uploaded scientific publications.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||2|
|Full-time equivalent||100 %|
|Last application date||31.May.2023 11:59 PM CEST|