Assistant professor in Energy Systems Analysis
Work with us
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Industrial Engineering and Management
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Activities at the School of Industrial Engineering and Management cover the Engineering, Technological and Economic knowledge necessary to be able to develop new products, material and production processes in a sustainable fashion as concerns Technical management, Financial Profitability and the Environment. One precondition for innovation and enterprise is the study and application of basic physical and chemical phenomena as well as the integration of new, often multidisciplinary technologies, methods and tools. Core knowledge areas include Energy Technology, Industrial Design and Innovation, Product and Production Development, Materials Development, Micro and Nano Technology as well as Industrial Economics, Organisation and Management.
Energy Systems Analysis
The subject field is energy systems modelling, with a particular focus on the development, application and interpretation of medium to long-term energy system models. These models serve to support informed decisions on energy policy, investments, and technology choices in order to effectively accomplish national, regional and global energy goals.
This position is expected to contribute to research development in the subject field through participation in ongoing projects, establishing new projects and supervising PhD students. The candidate should be involved in education activities in existing courses at undergraduate and graduate level. The split between research and education is 70%/30% respectively.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop his/her independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor shall be assessed for promotion to associate professor.
A person is eligible for appointment if they have attained a Degree of Doctor or have the equivalent academic expertise. The candidate should have attained a Degree of Doctor or have acquired the equivalent expertise no more than seven years before the end of the application period.
Grounds of assessment
It is of highest importance:
- That the applicant has academic skills in the subject field supported by high-quality publications in reputed international journals.
- That the applicant has demonstrated experience in interdisciplinary research work and that he/she has wide knowledge of the energy sector and its interactions with policy decisions, technology, society, economy and environment.
It is of high importance
- That the applicant has teaching experience in the subject field
- That the applicant has excellent English skills in both written and oral form
It is of importance
- That the applicant has experience and ability to work both as a member of a team and individually.
- That the applicant has the ability to understand how energy system models can support the long-term transitions of energy systems.
- That the person who is appointed as assistant professor at KTH has experience from research environments other than KTH, equivalent to a post-doctorate period or doctorate degree from another institution. In more applied areas, experience from industry can be just as valuable as a traditional post-doctoral residency at another university.
- That the applicant has the ability to establish and develop cooperation within research and education.
- That the applicant has long-term development potential.
- That the applicant has the ability to collaborate with the surrounding society and to disseminate information regarding research and development work.
- That the applicant will be able to develop and lead activities and personnel. This includes having knowledge about matters of diversity and equal treatment, with a particular focus on gender equality.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications and conferences proceedings and the applicant's ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. It is of highest importance that the applicant will be able to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has shown teaching and supervising expertise.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. You are the main responsible to ensure that the application is complete according to the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
Professor Mark Howels, +46(0)73-461 83 52, email@example.com
|Last application date||15.Aug.2016 11:59 PM CET|