Doctoral student (licentiate) in Remote Sensing - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Architecture and Built Environment
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Division of Geoinformatics at the Department for Urban Planning and Environment is responsible for both research and education within the broad field of geographical information technology (GeoIT). Geoinformatics or GeoIT is the science and technology for collection, management, visualization, analysis and presentation of geospatial data. The research at the Geoinformatics Division at KTH is focused on methodology development and the applications of GeoIT for sustainable urban/regional planning, environmental monitoring, crime analysis, and health studies. The Geoinformatics Division is responsible for the GeoIT Profile in the Built Environment Program and for the International Masters of Science Program in Geodesy and Geoinformatics. The Division also offers GeoIT courses to other disciplines such as Urban Planning and Design, and Real Estate Economics.
Third-cycle subject: Geoinformatics
The candidate for the licentiate position is expected to participate in a research project entitled "Sentinel-1 SAR and Sentinel-2 MSI Data for Urban Change Detection with Deep Learning’ under the supervision of the project manager.
The overall objective of this research is to develop innovative and robust methods and algorithms that use multitemporal Earth observation (EO) data in general, Sentinel-1 SAR and Sentinel-2 MSI data in particular, for urbanization monitoring in support of sustainable urban development.
The tasks and responsibilities include algorithm development, image processing, classification and change detection, writing reports, scientific articles and licentiate thesis.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
Target degree: Licentiate
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
The position requires a Master's Degree in Geomatics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or other natural sciences and engineering disciplines. The applicant must have good knowledge in image processing, pattern recognition, machine learning/deep learning and demonstrated programming skills to implement relevant Java and / or C ++ methods and techniques. Ability to design, implement and test algorithms for processing and classifying satellite images is of great importance to the employment.
Previous professional experience in developing software for developing image processing programs is a special merit.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- Curriculum vitae including professional experiences and skills
- Degree certificates and transcripts from university and graduate studies. Translations to English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Motivation letter describing why do you want to pursue PhD studies, about your interests and how they are related to your previous experience and future goals; max 2 pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Document up to 10 pages each. For longer documents (e.g. M.Sc thesis), attach a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- Contact information of at least 2 referees. We reserve the right to contact references only for selected candidates.
- Letters of recommendations are valuable.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about Processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||31.Mar.2019 11:59 PM CET|