Mission and vision of KTH Language and Communication
KTH Language and Communication works actively for internationalisation and for preparing KTH students for the communicative challenges that await them in their professional lives. The unit offers courses in the most important languages for Swedish engineers from basic level to higher levels, as well as in rhetoric, global competence and technical communication. Our operations within the subject of communication contribute to meeting the degree requirements for Masters and Bachelors in Engineering. Our vision is to develop cutting-edge expertise within Global Competence and Engineering Communication.
Tasks from the KTH development plan
Language and Communication works actively for internationalisation at KTH by offering KTH students and employees courses and other learning activities in languages, communication and global competence. Our aim is to enable good professional and and scientific communication in speech and writing in the first, second and third languages, with people within and outside of one's professional sphere, and with people from other cultures. Our operations thereby contribute to fullfilling the degree requirements for Masters and Bachelors of engineering, as well as in research education.
The objectives from KTH's current development plan that guide our operations include that
- students are in possession of complementary skills such as intercultural competence
- the number of students studying abroad increases
- international students are attracted to KTH
- KTH is a well-integrated dual-language university
- digital resources are used to provide effective, economical and accessible courses .
To achieve these objectives, we
- create approximately 3500 seats on courses per year in our approximately 50 courses ,
- work in an integrated format of lectures and workshops with other KTH schools and programs ,
- provide tutorials in the within the Academic Resource Centre (ARC) run by the KTH Library,
- organise language cafés in both foreign languages for students and in Swedish for employees,
- offer a tandem language partner program ,
- advise and test students who want to study abroad,
- are responsible for the KTH Certificate of Global Competence ,
- provide expertise on language and language learning to the KTH:s språkkommitté ,
- cooperate nationally and internationally in various networks and projects to enrich our skills and improve understanding of the engineer's needs within language and communication.
In our vison of the future is included that we develop leading edge expertise within the subjects of global competence engineering communication. We want KTH engineers and architects to be well-known for their excellent skills in communicating their technical knowledge, thereby being able to contribute even more to societal development.