Who may become an honorary doctor?
Honorary doctorates are conferred upon honor individuals who have made important contributions and to promote the development of KTH. The criteria for such an appointment are set forth below.
Indicative criteria for appointment
- Persons working outside Sweden who have promoted the activities of KTH (within KTH's area of activity) through significant cooperation.
- Persons within the country and within KTH's area of activity who have undertaken their own extensive research efforts, professional efforts or other societal contributions.
- Moreover, a clear affiliation with KTH is always desirable.
Indicative criteria for persons who are not eligible for appointment as an honorary doctor
- Honorary doctorates cannot be conferred posthumously.
- As a rule, employees and/or Doctors of Technology at KTH are ineligible.
- A person who has already been appointed as an Honorary Doctor of Technology by another Swedish higher education institution will normally be ineligible.
- A person with a political or legal influence over KTH cannot become an honorary doctor.
- A person who cannot or does not wish to attend the conferment ceremony in the same year as said person has been asked to do so cannot become an honorary doctor.