PhD student in Programming Languages and Statistical Machine Learning - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Information and Communication Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The doctoral student position focuses on the combination of programming language theory and statistical machine learning. In particular, the emphasis is on designing new domain-specific modeling languages and abstractions that enable a clear separation between probabilistic models and inference algorithms. The doctoral student will be involved in a larger project and work with researchers from both KTH Royal Institute of Technology and Uppsala University. The doctoral student will be part of the Model-Based Computing Systems (MCS) research group and be supervised by Associate Professor David Broman. Besides research studies, the student is expected to teach up to 20 % of the working time.
The applicant should hold a Master of Science degree or a degree that fulfills the entry requirements for doctoral education at KTH. The ideal candidate has very good mathematical and programming skills. Experience in one or more of the following areas are beneficial: Mathematical Modeling, Statistical Machine Learning, Compilers, Algorithms, and Programming Language Theory. Besides technical and mathematical skills, the candidate is expected to be a curious and ambitious person who is strongly motivated to conduct research. He or she should be used to work in a structured way and have the ability to work both individually and in teams. Good communication skills in both oral and written English are required.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s web page.
The application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter: a one-page summary of your application.
- Curriculum vitae: a document of up to four (4) pages, including all your relevant academic, professional and other achievements, and experience.
- An official copy of the MSc (or equivalent) degree certificate and academic transcript. For applicants in the process of obtaining the MSc (or equivalent) degree, they must state with supporting document the expected date of degree completion.
- Recommendation letters: Please send together with your application at least two (2) recommendation letters Please also include detailed contact information for at least two (2) references (including the two you arranged for).
- Statement of purpose: Please state why you wish to pursue a doctoral degree in these research topics,giving an account of your academic interests and your background. Maximum two (2) pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Please provide, if any, up to maximum two (2) documents, no longer than ten (10) pages each. For longer documents (e.g., project theses), please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Time limited, in line with the regulations for PhD employment in the Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen) (Approximately 5 years, including 20% teaching).
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement, preferably as soon as possible|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH´s Ph.D. student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||30.Sep.2016 11:59 PM CET|