Two Ph.D. Students in Modeling Languages, Compilers, and Machine Learning
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Information and Communication Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The doctoral student positions focus on the combination of programming/modeling languages, compilers, and machine learning. In particular, the emphasis is on the design and theory of domain-specific modeling languages, and the development of self-learning model compilers for efficient execution. The positions concern both heterogeneous aspects of modeling formalisms (composition and interaction between various formalisms) and compilation to heterogeneous target platforms (both for offline computations in clusters and online for real-time systems). Statistical learning methods will be a central theme, both for domain-specific language design and compiler construction. The doctoral students are employed at KTH in Kista, in the Department of Software and Computer Systems. The Ph.D. students will be part of the Model-Based Computing Systems (MCS) research group and be supervised by Associate Professor David Broman. In addition to research studies, the students are expected to take part in departmental duties, such as teaching, up to 20% of the working time.
To be accepted to the Ph.D. program, the applicant should hold a Master of Science degree or equivalent that fulfills the entry requirements for doctoral education at KTH. The ideal candidate has a solid computer science background with very good mathematical and programming skills. Experience in at least one of the following areas is beneficial: Mathematical Modeling, Statistical Machine Learning, Compilers, Algorithms, and Programming Languages. Besides technical and mathematical skills, the candidate is expected to be curious and ambitious, with strong motivation to conduct research. The applicant should be used to a well-structured work style, and have the ability to work both individually and in teams. Very good communication skills in both oral and written English are required.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH:s webpage.
The application must include the following documents:
- Cover letter: a one-page summary of your application.
- Curriculum vitae: a document of up to four (4) pages, including all your relevant academic, professional and other achievements, and experience.
- An official copy of the MSc (or equivalent) degree certificate and academic transcript. For applicants in the process of obtaining the MSc (or equivalent) degree, they must state with supporting document the expected date of degree completion.
- Recommendation letters: Please send together with your application at least two (2) recommendation letters Please also include detailed contact information for at least two (2) references (including the two you arranged for).
- Statement of purpose: Please state why you wish to pursue a doctoral degree in these research topics,giving an account of your academic interests and your background. Maximum two (2) pages long.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Please provide, if any, up to maximum two (2) documents, no longer than ten (10) pages each. For longer documents (e.g., project theses), please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
The employment is time limited, in line with the regulations for Ph.D. employment in the Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen).
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement, preferably as soon as possible|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH´s Ph.D. student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||2|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||30.Apr.2017 11:59 PM CET|