Assistant professor in Communication Systems - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Information and Communication Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The subject covers analysis, design and implementation of Communication Systems. The subject specialization should be within any of the areas of wireless systems, optical networking or networked systems.
The position involves teaching and research in the field of Communication Systems. The position holder should be engaged in teaching and take responsibility for courses and course development both at basic and advanced levels. The teaching includes courses in Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Bachelor of Science in computer engineering and electronics on basic level, and Master of Science in Information Technology. The teaching on the advanced level will include courses in several English speaking Master programs: Communication Systems, Software Engineering for distributed systems, and ICT Innovation. Furthermore, the position holder should be involved in the development of the research group in question and should be able to supervise students at doctoral level.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop his/her independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor shall be assessed for promotion to associate professor.
A person is eligible for appointment if they have attained a Degree of Doctor or have the equivalent academic expertise. Primarily, persons should have attained a Degree of Doctor or have acquired the equivalent expertise no more than seven years before the end of the application period.
Grounds of assessment
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH's appointments procedure Appendix 3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
- Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to carry out research of high scientific quality in the subject field, demonstrated by publications in top peer-reviewed international publications.
- Of second highest importance are the applicant’s pedagogical skills within the entire subject field.
- It is also of importance
- that the applicant has experience from course development for e-learning.
- that the applicant has the ability to teach in English, and within a few years also in Swedish.
- that the applicant has teaching experience in Swedish.
- that the applicant enjoys collaborative work.
- that the person who is appointed as assistant professor at KTH has experience from research environments other than KTH, equivalent to a post-doctorate period or doctorate degree from another institution. In more practical areas, experience from industry can be just as valuable as a traditional post-doctoral residency at another university.
- that the applicant has ability to establish and develop cooperation within research and education, as is the applicant's long-term development potential.
- that the applicant has ability to collaborate with the surrounding society and to disseminate information regarding research and development work.
- that the applicant has expertise in developing and leading activities and personnel, which includes having knowledge about matters of diversity and equal treatment, with particular focus on gender equality.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant's ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. Of highest importance is also that the applicant’s has displayed expertise in teaching and supervising.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to the agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||15.Aug.2017 11:59 PM CET|