Assistant professor in Production Engineering with focus on Additive Manufacturing - Hiring in process/Finished, not possible to apply
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, School of Industrial Engineering and Management
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Production engineering (IIP) includes techniques which mainly concern engineer technical development of products, processes, systems and methods that have direct impact on this production. The area includes everything from engineering aspects of manufacturing to assembly of components for functional products and recycling issues associated with these disciplines.
Production Engineering with focus on Additive Manufacturing
Additive Manufacturing focusing on metallic materials with the objective of process development and parameter optimisation to produce components / products with required geometric tolerances, surface finish and mechanical properties with minimum production cycle time. The subject also includes additive manufacturing in combination with subtractive technologies and therefore has additional focus on the development of optimal process chains from a lifecycle perspective
Tasks will include research in the specified subject field including supervision of graduate and doctoral students. Teaching, project work and training at undergraduate, advanced and research levels are also necessary areas of responsibilities.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor shall be assessed for promotion to associate professor.
A person is eligible for appointment if they have attained a Degree of Doctor or have the equivalent academic expertise. Primarily, persons should have attained a Degree of Doctor or have acquired the equivalent expertise no more than seven years before the end of the application period.
Grounds of assessment
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH's appointments procedure Appendix 3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
It is of the highest importance that the applicant has
- scientific expertise in the subject, which must be proven in the form of peer-reviewed publications in high-ranking journals
It is of second highest importance that the applicant has
- a strong background of research in metal additive manufacturing with experience of powder bed fusion (PBF) technologies in experimental research or industrial environment
It is also important that the applicant has
- a strong background of research in metal additive manufacturing with experience of directed energy deposition (DED) technologies in experimental research or industrial environment
- knowledge and interest in subtractive technologies including metal cutting, machining, grinding etc. and research experience in hybrid additive manufacturing
- research experience with focus in at least one of the industry sectors namely- automotive, aerospace, energy or medical engineering
- interest in and understanding of pedagogical development in the subject area
- a post-doctorate period at a university or institute other that of the doctorate degree. In an applied area, research and development experience from industry can be just as valuable as a traditional post-doctoral residency at another university or institute.
- potential for development as an independent researchers and a teacher in the subject area with the ability to establish and develop the current research area
- interest and understanding of developing and leading activities and personnel in the academic environment; this includes having knowledge about matters of diversity and equal treatment, with particular focus on gender equality.
- ability to teach the subject at both graduate and doctoral level, primarily in English, with the opportunity to acquire the skills in Swedish
- administrative skills
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant's ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant's ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. Of highest importance is also that the applicant’s has displayed expertise in teaching and supervising.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. You are the main responsible to ensure that the application is complete according to the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than four years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed six years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||By agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Working hours||100 %|
|Last application date||10.May.2017 11:59 PM CET|