Skip to main content

Influence your education

As a university student you have the right to influence your education and your study situation. This can be done for example by participating in course evaluations or by engaging in the student union. Read more below on different ways to influence your education.

Course evaluations

According to Swedish law, a student has the right to influence a course via course evaluations. The President has decided that all teachers must conduct a course evaluation in which the views of the students will be included. By law, the university must report on the changes that have been made during the course, resulting from the course evaluations.

Course evaluations vary between courses and programmes. They often involve the use of a questionnaire, in paper format or on the course’s website, where you submit your point of view. It is important that the criticism of course evaluations is constructive. One of the members of the student union (THS) acts as a representative when carrying out the work related to a course evaluation.

Course evaluations in the Higher Education Ordinance (Swedish Council for Higher Education's website)

Complaints about your education or study environment

If you have complaints or comments about your education or study environment you can pass it on to KTH. 

Complaints about your education and study environment

Own influence

A very effective way of influencing your situation is to have regular discussions with your teacher, mastercoordinator or programme coordinator and provide direct feedback about the education. 

Turn to relevant school if you have any feedback to give

Organized influence via the student union THS

There are many students and many minds at a large university. To have an impact on larger issues affecting more than one student an organization is required – a student union. According to Swedish law, all universities and university colleges must have a student union.

The student union is a non-profit organization representing the students at the university. Only the student union has the right to represent the students and elect student representatives.

KTH’s student union is called Tekniska Högskolans Studentkår (THS), which incorporates “THS Utbildning” (Education), which consists of all students who are involved in educational matters. They work with the students and listen to their views and opinions about the educational programmes at all levels at KTH. If you would like to become involved and have an influence on your educational programme, contact the Study Committee in your section or the THS heads.

Student influence and commitment (THS website)