Skip to main content

Residence permit for studies

Students from outside the EU/EEA require a residence permit to study in Sweden. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Agency. Find your category below to see exactly what applies to you.

Check the status of your application 

Once you have submitted your application you can check if your application or appeal has been registered as received by the Swedish Migration Agency and if a decision has been made in your case.

Check your application 

Work during studies 

Foreign students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is needed. However, be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Read more about work during studies