Skip to main content

Before departure


When you have received your Letter of Acceptance from the host university, you generally have to apply for a visa if you are studying in a country outside Europe. Contact the country's embassy in Sweden for more information. For students who need visa it is vital to check the period of validity of passports. Usually a passport has to be valid for at least 6 months after the planned date of return to Sweden in order to obtain a visa.

Remember that it can take time to obtain a student visa, for certain countries more than one month (to Sweden it actually takes two months to get a student visa!). If you intend to travel round in the country before your studies begin, or perhaps attend a language course, it is essential that you start well in advance of your leaving date!

If you are travelling to an EU country you need to get information on how to register your right of residence. The partner university usually inform you about this when you arrive.

Contact details

Put your contact details on "My pages" so that we can reach you during your time abroad if there is an emergency situation of any kind. The information we primarily ask for is your mobile number, your email addresse and your postal addresse.

Accommodation abroad

Most exchange universities help you to find accommodation, others refer foreign students to a number of agencies or landlords. In certain cases it is left totally up to the student to find housing.

Registration at KTH

As an exchange student you should register at KTH in Ladok. This ensures that you are considered a KTH student even when you are studying abroad and without the registration you will receive no student aid. You register for one semester and if you go on an exchange for an entire academic year, you register twice, one for the autumn term and one for the spring term. The registration for autumn term is usually done between August 20 and 31 and the spring term around January 15 to 25. Contact your international coordinator for more information. Registration for courses you should only do the semester you return to KTH and is done through

Presenting KTH at the host university

KTH students on exchange are expected to hold a presentation about KTH at their host university, for instance at study abroad fairs or similar events. For support, we have created the “Exchange studies at KTH” presentation and a related guide which we encourage all students to use.

Exchange studies at KTH: Presentation (pdf 4.6 MB)

Exchange studies at KTH: Presentation guide (docx 62 kB)

KTH International Buddy Program

Get to know an alumn abroad and make the most of your exchange term or year. The KTH International Buddy Program is a mentorship program that offers you a unique opportunity to gain understanding of what it is like working in an international setting. For you as a student and mentee taking part in the program it is a chance to expand your international network and gain personal and professional development as well as insight to a new cultural environment. Your mentor will share valuable experience and advice with you. All mentors are KTH alumni with current international careers.

Apply for a mentor

Bring with you

  • Acceptance letter from the host university
  • Register extract from LADOK in English on completed courses and grades
  • Financing certificate (e.g. from CSN)
  • European health insurance card
  • Insurance certificate - Medical Insurance Card if you are an exchange student and insured via the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet).
  • Identity card and passport.
  • Passport photo can be good for registration, student ID etc.

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs travel recommendations

The more information about the country and the university you will study at you have before your departure, the better! The Ministry for Foreign Affairs provides information about the security situation, climate, visa and health risks in the country you are staying in.