Appealing against the university’s decision

As KTH is an authority and is subject to the Swedish Administrative Procedure Act, it means that some of the main provisions of the act are only applicable if the matter relates to the exercise of an official authority. The exercise of official authority relates to the authority to determine benefits, rights, duties, disciplinary actions, dismissals or other comparable conditions.

Decisions concerning admission, examinations and disciplinary action are examples of universities and university colleges exercising their official authority towards an individual.

Grading decisions can never be appealed against, but you can always ask for a review of your work by an examiner. A request for a review must be set out in an objective and concrete manner.

If a decision regarding a grade involves an obvious irregularity due to a typing error, a calculating error or similar oversight, it may, in accordance with section 26 of the Administrative Procedure Act, be corrected, both when it is an advantage and a disadvantage for the student.  Such a decision for correction will, in accordance with Chapter 6,  section 18, of the Higher Education Ordinance, be made by the examiner, the student to whom the correction relates will be given the opportunity to be heard.

A grade may, however, in accordance with Chapter 6, section 24, of the Higher Education Ordinance, never be corrected so as to produce a disadvantage for the student if the examiner finds that a decision regarding the grade is obviously inaccurate due to a new circumstance or for any other reason.  From section 27 of the Administrative Procedure Act, it also follows that the examiner can only modify the decision if this can be done quickly and easily.

There is no time limit for you to request a review of a grade. However, the review should be requested as soon as possible, as it becomes increasingly difficult to conduct a review at a later date. If you have received at least a pass grade, you cannot request a fail grade.

Decisions that can be appealed

You must appeal the decision in writing by submitting an appeal to the school that made the decision. The appeal must have been received by the school that awarded the grade within three weeks from the day you received the decision. For an employment decision, the appeal must have been submitted three weeks from the day the decision was published on the university’s bulletin board.

The following decisions concerning a university education may be appealed against:

  • a decision that an applicant does not meet the requirements regarding eligibility to be admitted onto a programme at first-cycle level or third-cycle level, and a decision not to make an exception from the eligibility requirements in certain cases
  • a decision concerning the accreditation of an education or a profession
  • refusal of a request to be exempted from a mandatory part of a course
  • the decision to withdraw funding for a student’s postgraduate education and a decision that a student will not receive the funding back in some instances
  • a decision to claim back an educational grant from a doctoral student
  • a refusal, on the request of a student, to receive a degree certificate or course certificate
  • the decision not to grant a respite to begin studies at first-cycle or third-cycle level or to not allow a student to continue their studies after an interruption of studies
  • certain decisions taken by the board of a university college regarding the revocation of a decision taken by a student union
  • certain decisions taken by a government university college that are contrary to the prohibition of discrimination in educational activities or the prohibition against reprisals in the Discrimination Act (2008:567).

For further information and advice on how to proceed, contact THS, the student union, your programme’s student counsellor or the legal department at KTH.

The Higher Education Appeals Board

Belongs to: Student at KTH
Last changed: Oct 29, 2013