Instructions for students handing in handwritten exams in Canvas
Instruction for students who must submit handwritten text in an examination in Canvas. If you are writing an examination by hand on paper, you will need to scan the handwritten text with an app. The app converts the image / images into a PDF document. If you have the "Canvas Student" app installed, you can submit the PDF file you scanned by phone, but you can also transfer the PDF file to your computer and finally upload the PDF file in the Canvas assignment.
There are many scanner applications available. If you are familiar with any of them, please use the one that works best for you. But remember to check that they support the required file format, such as PDF.
How to scan the handwritten text:
- Download the app and open it. Link to "SwiftScan - Document Scanner" on AppStore eller Link to "SwiftScan - PDF-dokument Scanner" on Google Play Store . (The app has changed its name several times, see previous names below at the information on how to download the app to each system.)
- Choose ”Don’t become a pro”
- Choose ”skip” newsletter subscription”.
- Allow access to your camera.
- When the camera view is showing you will find the settings in the lower part of the camera view. Choose “Multi-Page” if your assignment consists of several pages.
- Click on ”Flash”
- Using the camera view in the app over your handwritten text/calculation so that the entire paper is shown in the picture view. Click on the red circle button in the bottom of the screen to take the picture.
- Continue photographing all of the pages you want to photograph/scan.
- When you are finished, click to the right of the red circle button where it shows how many pages you have photographed, e.g. “3 pages”.
- You can preview every page, crop, rotate, and rearrange with the ”Move” button and delete pages if the pictures did not turn out.
- Click ”Save” when you are satisfied with the picture quality, i.e. they are clear and readable.
- Once the file with your documents is created you can choose how to share it (share, e-mail, send fax). Choose “Share” and then “Airdrop” or “E-mail” to send the PDF-file to your computer. (Open your E-mail provider to download the file to your computer). Take note of where you save the file.
How to send in your assignment in Canvas:
- Go to ”Assignments” in Canvas.
- Choose the assignment group for the exam
- Click ”Send assignment” if you are in the old view. In the new view, read on to next line.
- Under “Upload file” click ”Browse” in the old view. In the new view, click the "Upload file" button.
- Choose the PDF-file that you have saved (For example”Scanbot 2 april 2020 14:15.pdf”)
- Agree that the assignment you are submitting is your original work.
- Click ”Submit assignment” if you are in the old view. In the new view, click "Submit".
You can use the share sheet on both Android and iOS to send the file directly into the Canvas Assignment. It requires you to have the Canvas Student app on your device. Below you can find how to upload directly into the assignment for both mobile operating systems.
How to do this with an iOS mobile:
Link to "SwiftScan - Document Scanner" on AppStore (SwiftScan was previously called ScanPro App, ScanPro and before that Scanbot).
How to do this with an Android mobile:
Link to "SwiftScan - PDF-dokument Scanner" on Google Play Store (SwiftScan was previously called ScanPro and before that Scanbot).