Skip to main content

Approved leave and non-completion of studies

Approved leave from studies means that students take a temporary break from their studies. Non-completion of studies means that students want to terminate their studies for good.

Approved leave from studies

This information is for students who are studying a programme at KTH as well those who are taking a freestanding course at KTH. Approved leave from studies means a temporary break from studying during a definite period as decided by KTH. Once an application is approved and a specific timeframe is agreed, this allows students to resume their studies.

Decisions concerning approved leave from studies are made by the Director of First and Second Cycle Education (grundutbildningsansvarig) or the Programme Director (programansvarig). Acceptable causes include illness, pregnancy/care of children, and military service.

Approved leave from studies always requires a defined period of time. If approved leave from studies has been approved, students are entitled to resume their studies at the point in time stated in the decision.

During the approved leave from studies it is possible for students to sit examinations for courses they are admitted to but have not yet completed.

Students have no automatic right to resume their studies without approved leave from studies. They will then resume their studies, subject to availability.

Students who intend to apply for approved leave from studies and want to know how this may affect their future studies should contact the student counsellor/master coordinator at relevant school at KTH.

Application for approved leave from studies

Important information for students holding a residence permit in Sweden based on studies

Before you submit an application for approved leave from studies be sure to check with the Swedish Migration Agency how this will affect your residence permit in Sweden.

  Please visit for more information

Am I liable to pay fees if I get an approved leave from studies?

It is very important that an application for an approved leave from studies is submitted to the student counsellor/master coordinator no later than the deadline for payment of the tuition fee. If an application for approved leave from study is not submitted, the student will be liable to pay tuition fees.

Please note that if a student has been granted or has applied for an approved leave from studies but still receives a tuition fee invoice he/she must contact  as soon as possible with that information.

What happens if I do not pay the tuition fee for the following semester?

A student who does not comply with the payment regulations or have not applied for approved leave from studies within the payment deadline will be suspended from further studies at KTH. The decision on suspension is effective immediately and will apply until full payment is made.

Students holding accommodation through KTH will lose their tenancy contract. This also applies to other student benefits such as insurance, primary health care, etc. until the suspension has been reversed.

What will happen with my scholarship if I get an approved leave from studies?

Students who have been awarded a scholarship for their studies at KTH must contact the respective scholarship organisation to see if it is possible to keep the scholarship when studies are resumed. Students who have been awarded the KTH Scholarship must contact .

Non-completion of studies

This information is for students enrolled in a programme at KTH. Students who intend to terminate their studies must notify the School's Office of Student Affairs. This also applies if you do not intend to resume your studies after an approved leave from studies. A notification of non-completion of studies is a permanent break. This means that you will not complete your studies on the programme and you resign from your education.

Notification of non-completion of studies

For more information

For more information, students should contact the study counsellor (studievägledare) or the master coordinator who is associated with the degree programme .