Skip to main content

New stricter residence permit procedure

From 1 November 2022, the application procedure for a Swedish residence permit has become stricter. Here is information on the change, and how you can apply for a residence permit.

Update February 2023

The Swedish universities joined forces to change the visa application process to make it easier for students to apply for a visa. This has led to a new decision from the Swedish government.

The Swedish government has given the Swedish Migration Agency the assignment to simplify the visa application process. The intention is to give students the opportunity to show their passports also in other locations than the Swedish embassies. We do not yet know where and when, but we expect it to become easier soon for students to show their passports when applying for studies in Sweden.

We will keep you updated when we receive more information in this matter.

The Swedish Migration Agency has significantly changed the application procedure for students applying for a residence permit. From 1 November 2022, you must book an appointment and show your passport at an embassy or consulate-general if you need a residence permit for studies in Sweden.

Below are some links for your information:

KTH understand that in certain countries and regions, this new procedure will have a huge impact on exchange students’ possibility to apply for a residence permit, as there might not be a Swedish embassy or consulate-general handling residence permits in a city close by or even in the same country.

The Swedish universities have voiced their concerns to the Government and have asked them to reconsider this change.

Please let us know if you have any further questions by sending an email to .