Skip to main content

Scholarship opportunities for master's studies

For students required to pay tuition fees there are a range of KTH and external scholarships available.

KTH scholarships

KTH offers four different scholarship opportunities for master's studies. The KTH Scholarship covers the tuition fee of a one or two year master’s programme. The KTH One-Year Scholarship is aimed at current KTH master's programme students and covers the tuition fee of the second year of studies. The KTH Joint Programme Scholarship is aimed at students in certain joint programmes and covers the tuition fee for the study period spent at KTH. The KTH India Scholarship is aimed specifically at students from India.

Swedish Institute

The Swedish Institute (SI) offers a number of scholarships for students from targeted countries coming to Sweden.

Read more at the SI website

KTH associated scholarship organisations

KTH cooperates with the following organisations providing scholarship opportunities for prospective KTH students. 

Scholarship portals

IEFA database

The IEFA database offer a comprehensive scholarships search, grant listing and international student loan programmes.

IEFA database


The Studyportals scholarship database lists over 1,000 scholarship and grants for students worldwide applying for studies in the EU.



Scholarships for Development is a database of scholarships open to students from developing countries.


Deferment of student loans in the United States

KTH is an accredited institution at the US Department of Education and holds a Title IV 'Deferment Only' status (OPE ID 03274300). US students may defer payments on existing federal student loan accounts while enrolled in a master’s programme at KTH. The 'Deferment Only' status does not allow students to take out federal student loans for enrolment at KTH. However, the accreditation facilitates grant and loan opportunities for US students as many private student loan institutions in the US use this designation as a requirement to grant new loans. Students who wish to defer payments must contact their lending institution in the US.