Interested in studying the master’s programme in Machine Learning? To be eligible you must meet the admission requirements of the programme and include the documents stated below in your application. All applications are assessed according to predetermined selection criteria set for the programme.
To be eligible for the programme, you must have been awarded a bachelor's degree, be proficient in English and meet the programme-specific requirements.
A bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish bachelor's degree, or equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognised university, is required. Students who are following longer technical programmes, and have completed courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students in their final year of undergraduate studies may apply and, if qualified, will receive a conditional acceptance. These applicants must include a written statement according to the instructions given by
University Admissions in Sweden
. Students in the final year of undergraduate studies at a Swedish university do not have to provide a written statement in order, if qualified, to receive a conditional acceptance. They must, however, have completed 150 ECTS credits in the bachelor’s programme by 1 February.
English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6 is required. The requirement can be satisfied through a result equal to, or higher than, those stated in the following internationally recognised English tests:
- TOEFL Paper-based: Score of 4.5 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 575.
TOEFL ITP is not accepted.
- TOEFL iBT internet-based: Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90
- IELTS Academic: A minimum overall mark of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- Cambridge ESOL: Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Certificate in Advanced English or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): Minimum score of 90
- University of Michigan, ECPE (Examination for the certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)
The language requirement can also be fulfilled through previous university and upper secondary school studies.
More information on recognised English tests, previous studies, and required documents is provided by
University Admissions in Sweden
Specific requirements for the master's programme in Machine Learning
A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, corresponding to 180 ECTS credits, with a level in Mathematics and Computer Science equal to, or higher than, that of the following courses at KTH:
SF1624 Algebra and geometry
SF1625 Calculus in one variable
SF1626 Calculus in several variables
SF1901 Probability theory and statistics
DD1338 Algorithms and Data Structures
Your application is not complete without the required supporting documentation. The following general and programme specific documents must therefore be included in the application in the specified order:
- Certificates and diplomas from previous university studies
- Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree
- Proof of English proficiency
- A copy of your passport including personal data and photograph, or other identification document
Specific documents for the master's programme in Machine Learning
*In order for your application to be considered complete, you need to fill out the online summary sheet. If you do not include a summary sheet, this may negatively affect your evaluation score. Please be sure to fill out all of the required information before you submit the form.
If you have questions regarding the summary sheet please contact the programme directly.
How to submit your documents
- Most applicants can upload all documents in their application on universityadmissions.se.
- The documentation requirements and academic qualifications may differ between countries.
- No documents should be sent to KTH unless you are instructed to do this.
- The authenticity of your documents may be verified with the issuing institution. Applications made with fraudulent documents will be rejected and legal action may be taken. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Submitting your documents
Instructions for your country of studies
The selection process is based on the following criteria:
- evaluation of university
- grades from previous study
- motivation to study
The evaluation scale is 1-75.
Applicants with education from a Swedish university
The same admission requirements and application process apply for students with a bachelor's degree from a Swedish university or students enrolled in a longer programme. If the university uses Ladok and the same personal identity number is used at the university and on universityadmissions.se the applicant does not need to submit transcripts of records or degree certificates.
Information in Swedish
Recognition of prior learning
Previous studies or professional experience may qualify you for studies or enable you to finish your studies earlier.
Read more about recognition of prior learning