The two-year master's programme in Macromolecular Materials consists of three terms of courses and one final term dedicated to the master's degree project. Each term consist of approximately 30 ECTS credits. Depending on which track you choose, you will study different courses. The courses presented on this page apply to studies starting in autumn 2020.
During the master studies two courses are mandatory, at least three out of five conditionally elective courses must be chosen, some recommended courses will be taken, 15 credits can be freely chosen, and the last semester a master thesis project will be performed. It is recommended that the mandatory and conditionally elective courses are taken during the first year, but the students are free to create their own schedule during the two years. Note that courses given during the spring semester should be taken in the first year since the master thesis project is scheduled to the spring semester in the second year.
There might be changes. Recommended courses may be cancelled if number of admitted students are less than minimum of places, or will be given every second year.
ME2814 Can be replaced by the following courses and counted as a recommended course: ME2016 Project Management, Leadership and Control, AL2160 Environmental Management, LS2429 Technical communication in English (period 2 or 3 in year 2), or corresponding course(s) with a maximum of 7.5 credits. If the student wants to take another course than the ones listed here, the program responsible must approve before the course starts.
The courses KF2110 and AK2036 are mandatory courses for all students admitted to the program, except students admitted to program with a background at the Degree Programme in Materials Design and Engineering (CMATD), which instead must follow the courses: KD1230 and AK2036. If the student has studied the course KD1230, he/she should instead follow a course from the recommended or conditionally elective courses list.
For students following the Degree Programme in Biotechnology (CBIOT) who want to obtain the Degree of Master of Science in Engineering, must study 2 of these courses;
BB2460 Biocatalysis, 7,5 credits
BB2020 Molecular Enzymology, 7.5 credits
BB2425 Glycobiotechnology, 7.5 credits
Conditionally elective courses
- Molecular Enzymology (BB2020) 7.5 credits
- Glycobiotechnology (BB2425) 7.5 credits
- Biocatalysis (BB2460) 7.5 credits
- Advanced Organic Chemistry (KD2310) 7.5 credits
- Spectroscopic Tools for Chemistry (KD2320) 9.0 credits
- Surfaces, Colloids and Soft Matter (KD2350) 7.5 credits
- Sustainable Systems for Heat, Power and Materials Production (KE2310) 7.5 credits
- Biopolymers (KF2180) 7.5 credits
- Polymeric Materials: Structure and Properties (KF2190) 7.5 credits
- Chemistry of a Biorefinery (KF2480) 7.5 credits
- Polymer Composites - Micro and Nanoscale (KF2495) 7.5 credits
- Ideation- Creating Your Own Company (ME2814) 7.5 credits
This is a preliminary list of courses for study year 2 for those who started the program 2019. There might be changes. Recomended courses may be cancelled if number of admitted students are less than minimum of places, or will be given every second year.
Study year 2 consists of courses and a mandatory degree project, second level, 30 higher education credits.
List of Degree projects;
Degree Project in Chemistry, Second Cycle - KD200X
Degree Project in Chemical Engineering, Second Cycle - KE200X
Degree Project in Fibre and Polymer Technology, Second Cycle - KF200X
- Nano-structured Materials (KD2170) 7.5 credits
- Biomedical Materials (KD2300) 7.5 credits
- Corrosion and Surface Protection (KD2380) 7.5 credits
- Risk Analysis and Management for Chemical Engineers (KE2351) 7.5 credits
- Surface Coatings Chemistry (KF2150) 7.5 credits
- Pulp and Paper Processes (KF2470) 7.5 credits
- Polymer Materials Processing (KF2505) 7.5 credits