Interested in studying the master’s programme in Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training (THRUST)? To be eligible you must meet the admission requirements of the programme and include the documents stated below in your application. All applications are assessed according to predetermined selection criteria set for the programme.
To be eligible for the programme, you must have been awarded a bachelor's degree, be proficient in English and meet the programme-specific requirements.
A bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish bachelor's degree, or equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognised university, is required. Students who are following longer technical programmes, and have completed courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students in their final year of undergraduate studies may apply and, if qualified, will receive a conditional acceptance. These applicants must include a written statement according to the instructions given by
. Students in the final year of undergraduate studies at a Swedish university do not have to provide a written statement in order, if qualified, to receive a conditional acceptance. They must, however, have completed 150 ECTS credits in the bachelor’s programme by 1 February.
English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6 is required. The requirement can be satisfied through a result equal to, or higher than, those stated in the following internationally recognised English tests:
- TOEFL Paper-based: Score of 4.5 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 575.
TOEFL ITP is not accepted.
- TOEFL iBT internet-based: Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90
- IELTS Academic/IELTS UKVI: A minimum overall mark of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- Cambridge ESOL: Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Certificate in Advanced English or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): Minimum score of 90
- University of Michigan, ECPE (Examination for the certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)
The language requirement can also be fulfilled through previous university and upper secondary school studies. More information on recognised English tests, previous studies, and required documents is provided by
Specific requirements for the master's programme in Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training (THRUST)
A bachelor´s degree corresponding to at least 180 ECTS credits, in Science, Engineering or Technology with a specialization in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Energy Technology, Aerospace Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) results are required only for the specialization Unsteady Aerodynamics (2nd year at Duke University). The minimum GRE scores required are: Quantitative Reasoning 155, Verbal Reasoning 150 and Analytic writing 3.0.
Please note that the following TOEFL test score requirements and University of Cambridge/ University of Oxford Certificates are specific for the Master's programme in Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training (THRUST):
- Paper-based test: total result of 580 (written test, grade 4,0)
- Internet-based test: total result of 92 (written test, grade 22)
University of Cambridge/ University of Oxford Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced English- CAE (minimum grade C).
- Certificate of Proficiency in English- CPE (minimum grade C).
Your application is not complete without the required supporting documentation. The following general and programme specific documents must therefore be included in the application in the specified order:
- Certificates and diplomas from previous university studies
- Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree
- Proof of English proficiency
- A copy of your passport including personal data and photograph, or other identification document
Specific documents for the master's programme in Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training (THRUST)
- Graduate Record Exam ( GRE) General Test. The GRE results are only mandatory for students taking mobility option Unsteady Aerodynamics (KTH-Duke University) and must be submitted together with the overall application documents.
- A Curriculum vitae including details on your academic career.
- A letter of motivation including an indication of the desired mobility option.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of the most recently attended higher institution or from recent employers if relevant.
For directions on how to prepare your Curriculum vitae, motivation letter and letters of recommendation please read the
document instructions for THRUST (pdf 90 kB)
How to submit your documents
- Most applicants can upload all documents in their application on universityadmissions.se.
- The documentation requirements and academic qualifications may differ between countries.
- No documents should be sent to KTH unless you are instructed to do this.
- The authenticity of your documents may be verified with the issuing institution. Applications made with fraudulent documents will be rejected and legal action may be taken. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Submitting your documents
Instructions for your country of studies
The selection of students to the programme is made by the programme's Steering Committee, in consultation with the Admissions Office at KTH. The selection process is based on the following criteria: university, credits awarded (for instance grades, grades in specific subjects and English), motivation for the studies (for instance, letter of motivation, references and relevant professional experience). The evaluation scale is 1-75.
Applications are processed in three evaluation rounds:
- Documentation and eligibility control regarding academic background and English proficiency (Admissions Office)
- Control of specific prerequisites for each programme applied for (Programme Committee)
- Ranking (Programme Committee)
Please be aware that the number of study places available is limited and that the application process is highly competitive. Scholarships are awarded to the highest ranked students. Finally, becoming accepted to the Master’s Programme does not guarantee that you will be assigned to your mobility option preference. Selected applicants will be offered a study track based on preference and availability. If an applicant cannot be offered a seat in the preferred study track an alternative track will be offered.
Applicants with education from a Swedish university
The same admission requirements and application process apply for students with a bachelor's degree from a Swedish university or students enrolled in a longer programme. If the university uses Ladok and the same personal identity number is used at the university and on universityadmissions.se the applicant does not need to submit transcripts of records or degree certificates.
Recognition of prior learning
Previous studies or professional experience may qualify you for studies or enable you to finish your studies earlier.
Read more about recognition of prior learning
MSc Turbomachinery Aeromechanical University Training THRUST (Joint)