Interested in studying the master’s programme in Urbanism Studies? To be eligible you must meet the admission requirements of the programme and include the documents stated below in your application. All applications are assessed according to predetermined selection criteria set for the programme.
To be eligible for the programme, you must have been awarded a bachelor's degree, be proficient in English and meet the programme-specific requirements.
A bachelor's degree, equivalent to a Swedish bachelor's degree, or equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognised university, is required. Students who are following longer technical programmes, and have completed courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students in their final year of undergraduate studies may apply and, if qualified, will receive a conditional acceptance. These applicants must include a written statement according to the instructions given by
University Admissions in Sweden
. Students in the final year of undergraduate studies at a Swedish university do not have to provide a written statement in order, if qualified, to receive a conditional acceptance. They must, however, have completed 150 ECTS credits in the bachelor’s programme by 1 February.
English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6 is required. The requirement can be satisfied through a result equal to, or higher than, those stated in the following internationally recognised English tests:
- TOEFL Paper-based: Score of 4.5 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 575.
TOEFL ITP is not accepted.
- TOEFL iBT internet-based: Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90
- IELTS Academic: A minimum overall mark of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- Cambridge ESOL: Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Certificate in Advanced English or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): Minimum score of 90
- University of Michigan, ECPE (Examination for the certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)
The language requirement can also be fulfilled through previous university and upper secondary school studies. More information on recognised English tests, previous studies, and required documents is provided by
University Admissions in Sweden
Specific requirements for the master's programme in Urbanism Studies
A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in the field of Architecture (B.Arch. or M.Arch.), Landscape Architecture (B.L.A. or M.L.A.) or Urban Design and Physical Planning (M.C.P., M.U.P.)
Coursework corresponding to a minimum of 30 ECTS credits is required either in Architecture, Physical Planning or Urban Design, and/or Landscape Architecture.
Your application is not complete without the required supporting documentation. The following general and programme specific documents must therefore be included in the application in the specified order:
- Certificates and diplomas from previous university studies
- Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree
- Proof of English proficiency
- A copy of your passport including personal data and photograph, or other identification document
Specific documents for the master's programme in Urbanism Studies
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation
- Portfolio (compulsory for students with a degree in architecture, landscape architecture or city and physical planning).
Please note that the portfolio must be uploaded using the box below.
All other documents should be uploaded to your application on Universityadmissions.se.
Upload your portfolio here (if you can't upload your portfolio please use the email method below).
You can also upload your portfolio through
. Please, note that in this case you will not receive any automatic confirmation on successful upload.
How to submit your documents
- Most applicants can upload all documents in their application on universityadmissions.se.
- The documentation requirements and academic qualifications may differ between countries.
- No documents should be sent to KTH unless you are instructed to do this.
- The authenticity of your documents may be verified with the issuing institution. Applications made with fraudulent documents will be rejected and legal action may be taken. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Submitting your documents
Instructions for your country of studies
The selection process is based on the following criteria: university, previous studies (for instance GPA, grades in specific subjects and English), motivation for the studies (for instance letter of motivation and relevant work experience). The evaluation scale is 1-75.
For students with a degree in architecture, landscape architecture or city and physical planning, the portfolio is compulsory and will be considered in the selection process.
Applicants with education from a Swedish university
The same admission requirements and application process apply for students with a bachelor's degree from a Swedish university or students enrolled in a longer programme. If the university uses Ladok and the same personal identity number is used at the university and on universityadmissions.se the applicant does not need to submit transcripts of records or degree certificates.
Information in Swedish
Recognition of prior learning
Previous studies or professional experience may qualify you for studies or enable you to finish your studies earlier.
Read more about recognition of prior learning