To be eligible for the master's programme in Vehicle Engineering, you must meet the listed admission requirements and submit the documents required in your application. We will assess your application according to the selection criteria set for the programme. The same process applies to students with a bachelor's degree from a Swedish university.
A bachelor's degree or comparable qualification equivalent to a Swedish bachelor's degree from an internationally recognised university is required. Students following longer programmes that have completed courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students in the final year of undergraduate studies may apply and, if qualified, be conditionally admitted. These applicants must include a written statement according to the instructions given by
. Students in the final year of a bachelor's programme at a Swedish university do not have to provide a written statement to, if qualified, be conditionally admitted. However, students at Swedish universities must have completed 150 ECTS credits in their programme by 3 February.
English language proficiency equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6 is required. You can meet the requirement by achieving the minimum required score in the following internationally recognised English tests:
- IELTS Academic/IELTS UKVI: An overall score of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
- TOEFL Paper-based: Score of 4.5 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 575.
TOEFL ITP is not accepted.
- TOEFL iBT internet-based: Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90.
TOEFL iBT Home Edition is accepted.
- Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments: University of Michigan, Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE)
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)
- Cambridge ESOL: C1 Advanced (CAE), minimum overall score 180 (points awarded since 2015), or Cambridge English certificate level C1, minimum score 180, or Cambridge English: Advanced
Completed upper secondary and university studies in some countries can also fulfil the requirement. Detailed information on how you can meet the language requirement is provided by
Specific requirements for Vehicle Engineering
A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, corresponding to 180 ECTS credits, with courses in
- Mathematics and programming: must include (i) differential and integral calculus in several variables, (ii) linear algebra, (iii) numerical analysis), (iv) ordinary and partial differential equations and integral transforms, (v) basic control theory, (vi) mathematical statistics and (vii) basics of programming in a higher programming language equivalent to at least 25 ECTS credits in total.
- Applied mechanics: must include (i) rigid body mechanics, (ii) solid mechanics, (iii) fluid mechanics and (iv) thermodynamics, equivalent to at least 20 ECTS credits in total.
Your application is not complete without the required documents. Some documents are required for all programmes, while some are programme specific. Only submit documents requested below. For example, if a summary sheet is not requested below, you should not submit one. Unless otherwise is specified, all documents should be uploaded to your application at University Admissions and not sent to KTH. We may verify your documents' authenticity with the issuing institution. Applications made with fraudulent documents will be rejected, and legal action may be taken. Incomplete applications are not processed.
General documents for all programmes
1. Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree(s)
Certificates and diplomas must be officially issued by the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university. The documentation requirements differ between countries; find out what is required for your country at
University Admissions (scroll down to choose country)
Applicants who already study at a Swedish university that use Ladok do not need to submit certificates and transcripts. Just make sure the same personal identity number is used in Ladok at the university and your application at University Admissions.
2. Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree
Transcript of completed courses and grades included in your degree must be officially issued as per the certificates and diplomas. If you have had courses credited and/or transferred from previous studies, you must also submit official transcripts for those.
3. Proof of English proficiency
What proof of English proficiency is required depend on your country of study and if you meet the English requirements through a test or previous studies. Most English must be verifiable online. Find out what proof you need at
A copy of passport with personal data and photograph, or other identification document.
Specific documents for Vehicle Engineering
5. Summary sheet
For your application to be considered complete, you need to submit an
online summary sheet
. If you do not submit a complete summary sheet, it will negatively affect your evaluation score. Fill out all of the required information before submitting the form. The summary sheet is the only specific document required for Vehicle Engineering. For questions regarding the summary sheet, please contact the
All applicants who meet the admission requirements and have submitted a complete application compete for the programme's available places. The selection process is based on the following selection criteria: university ranking and study performance from previous university studies. The evaluation scale is 1-75.
The applicant will receive a lower evaluation score if the mandatory programme specific summary sheet is missing from the application documents. This also applies to Swedish applicants.
The acceptance rate for the master's programme in Vehicle Engineering for 2021 was 14 %. We admitted 53 students out of the 370 applicants that met the admission requirements. To increase your chances of getting admitted to KTH, we advise you to select more than one programme when applying. You can apply for up to four programmes and rank them in your order of preference.
Recognition of prior learning
Suppose you entirely or partially lack a formal requirement for a course or programme, but you believe you have the necessary knowledge to meet the requirement. In that case, you can apply for
recognition of prior learning
MSc Vehicle Engineering