Skip to main content

Freestanding courses at KTH

KTH offers a limited number of freestanding courses. The courses offered can be preparatory courses, profiled further education courses and courses given as part of a study programme at KTH. The language of instruction for most freestanding courses is Swedish but some of the courses are offered in English.

For freestanding courses with instruction language English, knowledge of Swedish is not necessary in order to be eligible.

Applying to freestanding courses

Applications for freestanding courses offered in English are made through and Applications for freestanding courses with the language of instruction being Swedish are made through

Application on

Application on

In order to apply for a freestanding course at KTH you need to create an account at or

Courses within KTH's Engineering and/or Master's programmes which are not advertised and possible to apply for at are not open for freestanding course students.

Freestanding courses can normally not be combined into a KTH degree. For this purpose, you must have been admitted to a study programme at KTH. For further information regarding KTH's Master programmes, application procedure, prerequisites and documentation, please see

Admission to Master's programmes at KTH

Application and tuition fees for studying in Sweden

Following a decision by the Swedish Parliament in April 2010, students with citizenship in a country outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees for their education at Swedish Higher Education Institutions, as of the autumn term 2011.

To read more about application and tuition fees, please see

Application and tuition fees

Residence permit

Students from outside the EU/EEA require a residence permit to study in Sweden. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Agency. A residence permit is granted for one year at a time.

Students from outside EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit for studies from the Swedish Migration Agency. You should apply for the residence permit using the online application as soon as possible after being admitted to KTH. The application process can take up to three months.

For more information, please see

Residence permit

Please note that the procedure of applying for and receiving the decision regarding a residence permit takes some time. If you are applying for freestanding courses, the time frame might not be enough for you to receive the decision before the course starts.

Students enrolled in a study programme at KTH

If you are a current student at KTH, enrolled in a study programme at KTH, and interested in applying for a freestanding course for the autumn or spring semester, you should contact the coordinator of your study programme. If you want to apply for a summer course at KTH, you should apply through


For further information, please contact the Admissions Office at KTH.

Phone number: 0046-8-790 9440 Mon 13.00-14.00, Tue-Thu 10.00-11.00