Postdoctoral, doctoral positions, master thesis and interships
Interested in joining the division? Below is a list of the open posistions at MST.
LOOKING FOR POSTDOC FELLOW IN MATERIAL ENGINEERING - DEADLINE JAN 7 2020. We look for a postdoc fellow with a background in (polymer) material engineering to join our research on robotic materials ( www.digitalfutures.kth.se/research/current-research-projects/robotic-matter/ ). The research should focus on the reversible bonding and debonding of microscale particles into solid objects. If you have a suitable background, please apply here: www.digitalfutures.kth.se/research/research-calls-diversity-inclusion/open-call-postdoc-fellows-in-technologies-for-a-digital-transformation/ Please contact us via email email@example.com (Prof. Wouter van der Wijngaart) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Prof. Ulrica Edlund) if you want more information.
- When we are in the recruiting process for postdoctoral researcher, this will be announced below and at the official webpages of KTH and the School of Electrical engineering. You are always welcome to contact us and send us your CV. In this case you should either contact the head of the lab, Göran Stemme or the senior researcher working in your area of interest.
- The PhD students at the MST lab normally have salaried positions. The education includes courses, but the major effort is the work in research projects. Up to 20% (but normally considerably less) of the time may be spent in teaching and other work for the department. Typically the PhD education takes four to five years, but this varies depending both on the student in question and on the projects they are working on. The group is very international and English is the common working language.
- A look at the list of current projects (link at the bottom of the page) shows the multi-disciplinary nature of our research. For this reason we have had PhD students with undergraduate education background in the areas of engineering physics, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, biochemistry etc. Some, but not all, have also had some kind of education in microsystem technology before they came to us. The requirements for admission are thus not completely fixed but may depend on the project that we have in mind. However, a strong educational background with a M. Sc. with good grades in the relevant subjects, good communication skills including good knowledge of English and finally a strong commitment are firm requirements.
- When we are in the recruiting process for new PhD students, this will be announced below and at the official webpages of KTH and the School of Electrical engineering. However, you are always welcome to contact us and send us your CV. We can then compare this to the upcoming projects and perhaps give you some advice on the possibilities. In this case you should either contact the head of the lab, Göran Stemme or the senior researcher working in your area of interest.
Master thesis students
- Students can be accepted as master thesis student provided we have a suitable project that matches thier competence. Students from other schools at KTH must have a permission from their school. Students from universities with which KTH has regular exchange agreements can also normally be accepted under the exchange agreement. Students from other universities can also be accepted if an administrative agreement is reached. Have a look at our current research projects and contact the research leaders for the area of your interest.
- Applications can also be sent to email@example.com including field of interest, CV and transcripts, for both master thesis students and internship students.
Open master thesis projects:
We are looking for one master thesis/internship candidates to work on laser-induced material transfer. Here more details: Master Thesis: Laser-induced material transfer (pdf 90 kB) . For more information about the project, please contact Frank Niklaus .
We are looking for one master thesis/internship candidates to work with nanostructuring of spider silk. For more info about the topic, see our project page for more information. For more information about the project, please contact Wouter van der Wijngaart .
We are looking for one master thesis/internship candidates to work on the boundary between MEMS, machine learning and material science. We have started the exciting “Robotic Matter” project, see our for more info. In this master thesis you will work with shape changing material prototypes and figure out how to control their shape using machine learning tools. For more information, please contact Wouter van der Wijngaart
We are looking for three master thesis/internship candidates to work within the development of biosensors for infectious diseases. One person with electrical/electromechanical background, or similar, to build a microscale bacterial incubator; two persons to work with biochemistry background, or similar, to work with the bioassay development in the same project. For more information, please contact Wouter van der Wijngaart .
We are looking for a master thesis/ internship candidate to join us to work on the project Microfluidic Reprogramming and Isolation of human cells (pdf 191 kB) The goal of this project is to develop capability for microfluidic reprograming of human somatic cells for regenerative medicine, starting out with studying the cell proliferation and growth in microfluidic channel and potentially developing a pipeline from patient biopsy to reprogrammed cells. Please contact Dimitris Voulgaris or Saumey Jain for more information.
- We accept internship students when we have suitable tasks and supervision. For internships we require a good study background in subjects relating to the project area you are intrested in. Have a look at our current research projects and contact the research leaders for the area. Note that we are happy to host internships but that we unfortunately cannot provide any payment, grants or housing for internship students. The cost of living is reativly high in Sweden.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with research-oriented mindset to join the project Noise characteristics of solid-state nanopores . The desired prerequisites include especially interest in hands-on working and building of experimental setups. For more information please contact Noora Isoaho .