Winter School 2016
Date: February 04-07, 2016
Venue: Romme Alpin, Borlänge, Sweden
Focus: Lasers and laser applications
Organizers: Sergei Popov, Markus Pollnau
Program: version 20160115 (pdf 52 kB)
Lecture abstracts: version 20160121 (pdf 1010 kB)
Registration: CLOSED (by 2016-01-10 at 11:59 PM)
Additional information (to registered participants)
- The bus has two pick-up spots. We presume that you will board bus at your conventional working location. In case you for some reason prefer to board at the other location, we appreciate if you drop a message to the organizers.
- It is a good idea to book your ski equipment in advance on line through Boka Express .
- The bus carries a sign "KTH - Romme". It will arrive AlbaNova (Roslagstullsbacken 32, main entrance from parking side) at 2016-02-04 13:45 PM, then at Electrum Kista (Isafjordsgatan 22) at 14:30 PM, then to Arlanda (Terminal 2) at 15:15. Waiting time at each stop point is 15-20 minutes. Contact persons: AlbaNova (Marcin Swillo, mob. 0704244142, firstname.lastname@example.org), and Kista (Gleb Lobov, mob. 070 745 9951, email@example.com).
- Bus from Romme Alpin to Stockholm: leaving 2016-02-07 17:00 PM, arriving Kista ~19:30PM, then to AlbaNova.
- Anders Larsson (Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden): VCSELS and Optical Interconnects (pdf 3,4 MB)
- Dimitri Geskus (KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden): Rare earth doped waveguide lasers and amplifiers (pptx 7,3 MB)
- Franz X. Kärtner (Center for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL), DESY, Germany): Ultra-low jitter femtosecond laser and their applications ( part 1 (pdf 8,1 MB) , part 2 (pdf 4,0 MB) , part 3 (pdf 9,0 MB) )
- Gunnar Björk (KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden): Qantum optics of laser radiation (pdf 256 kB)
- Stefan Kröll (Lund University, Sweden): Rare-earth-ion doped crystals (pdf 2,9 MB)
- Valdas Pasiskevicius (KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden): Nonlinear Optical Methods for Biophotonics Applications (pdf 3,3 MB)
- Walter Margulius (ACREO, Swedish ICT; KTH - Royal Institute of Technology): Nonlinear optics in fibers and fiber components (pdf 3,4 MB)
- Johan Nilsson (University of Southampton, UK): High-power fiber lasers/sources/amplifiers (pdf 5,5 MB)
- Stefan Maier (Imperial College, UK): Plasmonic and dielectric nanoantennas: fundamentals and applications
- Fredrik Laurell (KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden): Introduction to solid-state lasers ( part 1 (ppt 9,4 MB) , part 2 (ppt 5,0 MB) , part 3 (ppt 5,8 MB) )
- Markus Pollnau (KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden): Spectral coherence and the laser linewidth (pdf 593 kB)
PhD course (IO3000)
A PhD student is eligible for obtaining 2 third-cycle course credits for participating the winter school. The corresponding course code is IO3000. Evaluation criteria: the participant has to follow all the lectures given during the winter school, as well as to correctly answer at least 60% of questions formulated based on the lectures. Examiner: Prof. Sebastian Lourdudoss.
Home assignments are listed as follows:
- Compiled questions (docx 32 kB)
- Anders Larsson questions (pdf 269 kB)
- G. Björk questions (pdf 30 kB)