6. The study visit and employability revisited
The study visit and employability revisited, reflection seminar in December 2015
Preparations for the reflection
- Investigate, using only public sources, how the company you visited is recruiting computer scientists. Is the company advertising in newspapers? Advertising on its web site? Visiting Armada or D-dagen? In some other way?
If you missed the study visit
If you missed the study visit you will need to do the following extra preparation for the seminar.
- There are several business associations relevant to masters of computer science. Such organizations could either have computer science companies or computer scientists as members. Find one (relevant) business association organizing companies and one organizing people. Look up the web sites of these associations and find some information about them. Then use them instead of the company in the four reflection points below, when you write your reflection. The reflection should be 600-700 words instead of 500-600 words.
The written reflection
Write a reflection document where you address the following points based on your study visit and your small recruitment research. Make sure that you bring up both positive and negative aspects for all four points. The document should be 500-600 words.
- Give a short description of the company and the visit.
- How do you and your competence match the company you visited?
- What insights have you gained that may influence your studies?
- What role does the company fill in society? Do you want to be part of what the company is doing?
- (only for year 2) Compare the study visit last year with this one. What was similar? And what was different?
Finally, write a paragraph where you reflect on the courses you are currently taking and the courses (or degree project) that you have chosen to take next semester.
Hand in the reflection, read the group members' reflections and comment on them
Your written reflection must be handed in before December 11, at 12.00. Maybe you should once again look at the short video showing how to upload the document to Google Drive. You should start the document by stating your name followed by prosamm15 or prosamm14 (depending on whether you study the first or second year of the master's program). The link to the document should be put in a file with your name in the directory
where X is your group's number (the same as last time - if you forgot you can find it in Rapp). If you did not participate in the seminar in period 1, your group number might have been removed from Rapp. If this is the case and you still want to take the course, you need to contact Viggo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You have to comment on at least six other group members' reflection documents using the Google Drive comment functionality (Comment in the Insert menu) before December 14, at 12.00 noon. You may choose which six group members you like, as long as there are at least two from year 1 (prosamm15) and two from year 2 (prosamm14) among them. You also have to comment on a comment in your own document (if there is any).
Participate actively in the seminar
Find your group number in the table below and lookup when and where your seminar is. The seminar is about 50 minutes, and it is important to be on time. Notice the odd starting times! Instructions on how to find the rooms can be found in the menu to the left.
|December 15, 8.10-9.00
|December 15, 9.10-10.00
|December 17, 15.10-16.00
|December 17, 16.10-17.00
Report your choice of specialization, if needed
From next seminar in the course (i.e. period 3), the groups will be rearranged after choice of specialization (in Swedish: spår). If you have reported your choice of specialization to the study counsellor, then your specialization is already in the specialization/spår column in Rapp for prosamm. If your specialization is not known by Rapp, then you will need to email Viggo (email@example.com) and tell him which specialization you (will) follow before December 12, otherwise you will end up in a random prosamm group at next seminar.
Note that the choice of specialization is not binding, at this point of time. When you end your studies and hand in your application for the Master degree certificate, then you will need to report your final choice of specialization.
Here is the current list of specializations:
|Number of students in prosamm15+14
who have chosen the specialization
|autonoma system (autonomous systems)
|beräkningsbiologi (computational biology)
|datasäkerhet (computer security)
|ljud och musik (sound and music)
|programsystemteknik (software engineering)
|språkteknologi (language technology)
|teoretisk datalogi (theoretical computer science)
Have you missed anything in this course?
If you look at your results in Rapp you should have three "G" (passes) for each seminar: hand-in, comments and participation, in order to pass the course. If you missed anything you will need to read the instructions on how to fix this.