Q&A about exchange studies

  • When can I apply for an exchange spot?

The exchange application is open once a year, and the application deadline is in mid-December. You can then apply for an exchange spot for the coming academic year. You can find more information about the application, requirements and selection here.

The exchange application that you make in November/December goes to KTH. You will thereafter (hopefully) be nominated for an exchange spot by KTH. The semester before the planned exchange, you also need to send an application directly to the university you have been nominated for. The university in question will take the final admissions decision. 

  • How can I prepare for the exchange application?

Read the information about exchange studies on the website. Consider which universities/countries you are interested in going to. Investigate if the universities in question offer courses that you find relevant and interesting. Contact us for a meeting about your university choices and the exchange process. Read travel reports written by students who have previously been on exchange at the university in question, to get more information about how it is to study and live there.

On the page about exchange studies on the programme web (above this page), you can find a course database with information about which courses students have chosen at the universities before. There, you can also find a list with information about the lowest GPA that has been required to get an exchange spot within one of the exchange agreements belonging to the ABE School.

  • How many universities can I include in my exchange application?

You can choose up to five universities in the exchange application, and you need to rank them.

  • How can I prepare for the exchange?

You can find information about how to prepare for the exchange on the website.

We also recommend you to prepare your language skills, especially if the language of instruction is a third language for you. If you for example will go on exchange during the autumn semester, we would recommend you to take a language course during the summer.

  • How can I change courses during the exchange?

Follow the instructions for course changes at the exchange university. You also need to get your updated study plan assessed by your Programme Director. Therefore, you need to upload an updated study plan, as well as an updated list with course descriptions, into the Canvas course for your exchange. Your study plan will then be assessed by your Programme Director.

  • What happens if I take less than the equivalent of 30 ECTS credits during one exchange semester?

If you come back from the exchange with less than the equivalent of 30 ECTS credits for one exchange semester, then you need to take extra courses at KTH to compensate for the courses/credits missing from the exchange. Contact your Master’s Coordinator if you need help with admittance to a course at KTH.

Feedback News