EG3201 Introduktion till energisystem 8,0 hp
Introduction to Energy Systems
The aim of the course is to create an understanding of the development and dynamics of energy systems, and how policy instruments (related to e.g. climate-change mitigation and other sustainable development issues) influence the design and operation of energy systems. The course emphasizes socio-technological factors that affect the possibilities to modify energy systems, such as physical limitations, international agreements, energy policy constraints, and organizational, technical and economical considerations. The course will also provide course participants with the opportunity to build a network with other researchers active in the energy field, as well as gaining a better understand of how their own research topic(s) relate to energy systems as a whole.
Information för forskarstuderande om när kursen ges
According to agreement.
After a completion of the course, the student shall have an understanding of
- the energy system's development and dynamics,
- how climate policy, taxes and other control measures impact on the design of the energy system
- the socio-technical limitations and interdependencies that affect the possibilities of changing the energy system (for example physical limitations, international ties, political possibilities and conditions regarding energy issues, organisational, technical and economic considerations),
- how an individual student’s research assignment can be regarded as part of a greater whole.
Kursens huvudsakliga innehåll
The course takes up issues concerning the area of energy from both a technical and social science perspective such as
- system questions with a focus on the area of energy,
- international view within the area of energy,
- the electricity system - plant, the network and use as well as historical growth,
- sustainable energy system,
- the role of lifestyle and the use of energy,
- tesearch efforts contra private individual efforts regarding energy issues,
- energy needs of industry, buildings and transport, energy use and structure,
- implementation, innovations within energy technology,
- renewable energy technology,
- electricity and heat production, gasification etc.,
- resource issues,
- CO2 issues relative to the use of energy, heating and electricity production, such as CCS, JI, CDM,
- energy policy and control measures.
Project assignment, written report.
The course is intended for Ph.D. students in electrical engineering.
Vaclav Smil, “Energy at the Crossroads”.
Swedish Energy Authority, “Energy in Sweden”.
- EXA1 - Examination, 8,0, betygsskala: P, F
Krav för slutbetyg
- Approved project assignment.
- Approved written report.
Mikael Amelin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Kursplan gäller från och med HT2011.
Examinationsinformation gäller från och med VT2019.