EI3200 Electromagnetic Theory, PhD Course I 6.0 credits
Elektromagnetisk fältteori, doktorandkurs I
The course is intended for PhD students whose research topic is within or related to classical electromagnetic field theory. The course extends parts of the master level course EI2405, thereby providing a more in depth-coverage of the topics as well as additional topics.
Education cycleThird cycle
Main field of study
Grading scaleP, F
Information for research students about course offerings
Course round is arranged if sufficiently many announce their interest in reading the course.
Intended learning outcomes
After completion of the course the student shall be able to
- explain Green's theorem; describe Green's functions to Poisson's equation
- expand Green's functions and potentials in discrete or continuous orthogonal bases
- solve electrostatic and magnetostatic boundary value problems
- do multipole expansions of electrostatic and of magnetostatic fields
Course main content
Mathematical methods för electrostatic and magnetostatic source and boundary value problems.
Lessons 30 h
Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics 3:rd ed, chapters 1-5
- EXA1 - Examination, 6.0, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
Home-assignments, written examination and individually assigned problems.
Oral presentation of one problem.
Martin Norgren <firstname.lastname@example.org>
EI3300 Electromagnetic Theory, PhD Course II
Other PhD courses based on advanced level knowledge in electromagnetics.
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2011.
Examination information valid from: Spring 2019.