EI3332 Partial Discharge Physics and Measurement Techniques, PhD Course 8.0 credits
Partiella urladdningar - fysik och mätteknik, doktorandkurs
The course covers an in-depth understanding of the phenomena and measurements of partial discharges (PD) in electrical insulation.
Education cycleThird cycle
Main field of study
Grading scaleP, F
Information for research students about course offerings
The course is given when there is sufficient demand. Please contact the examiner if you are interested in taking the course.
Intended learning outcomes
After the course, the student should be able to:
- identify different sources of partial discharges in electrical insulation and describe their specific features
- describe the discharge process starting from a local gas ionization
- develop models of a partial discharge process with different levels of physical information
- compute the repetition patterns of partial discharges from physical models of the PD process
- analyze the information in PD signals on different time-scales
- measure partial discharges with different techniques
- describe how PD measurement circuits are calibrated
- analyze the particular features and severity of partial discharges in different power equipments such as cables, generators, transformers, bushings, capacitors, etc.
- describe how localisation of partial discharges can be made with electrical and acoustical time-of-flight techniques
- relate material degradation to partial discharge activity
- contribute to the research in the area
Course main content
Fundamentals of partial discharges, gaseous ionization, partial discharge current waveform, apparent charge, physical degradation of insulation due to partial discharges, repetition of partial discharges under AC and DC voltage, calibration, physical models of PD and dynamic simulations in FEM, measurement techniques, PD sources in different equipment, cables, generators, transformers, bushings, capacitors, etc, localisation, acoustical methods
Lectures (12*2h = 24h), 4 homework problems, presentations by participants on solutions to homework problems (2*4h = 12h), 3 laboratory exercises: 1) phase resolved partial discharge analysis (PRPDA), 2) Localisation of partial discharges on a cable, 3) Partial discharges measured as non-linear dielectric loss and capacitance. 1 field measurement: generator. 72 h take home exam
MSc in electrical engineering, physical engineering or similar. FEI3230 and FEI3330 are complementary.
D. König and Y. Naranya Rao, Partial Discharges in Electrical Powre Apparatus, 1993; Compendia: H.Edin, Partial discharge physics and measurement techniques, containing lecture notes, articles and selected chapters from other books.
- EXA1 - Examination, 8.0, grading scale: P, F
Requirements for final grade
Participated (short presentation every time) in 3 out of 4 homework problems. Accepted (80% correctness) solutions to 3 of 4 homework problems. Participated in 3 laboratory exercises and 1 field measurement. 60% correct on home exam.
Hans Edin <email@example.com>
Course syllabus valid from: Autumn 2011.
Examination information valid from: Spring 2019.