Residence permit for studies

Students from outside the EU/EEA require a residence permit to study in Sweden. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Board. A residence permit is granted for a maximum of one year at a time. Read below for more information about the application procedure.

Work during studies

Foreign students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is needed. However, be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Residence permit

Students from outside EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit for studies from the Swedish Migration Board. You can read more about how to apply on their website.

For a faster process of your application please apply online  on the Swedish Migration Board's website. Applications for a residence permit can under no circumstances be submitted after entering Sweden.

The following documents are required:

  • A copy of a valid passport
  • Letter of Acceptance/Notification of Selection Results as proof of admission to KTH and the duration of your studies
  • Proof that you can support yourself during your stay in Sweden. A minimum of SEK 8010 per month for the entire study period is required (further details here)
  • Proof of payment of the residence permit application fee (SEK 1000)
  • If the duration of your studies is 1 year or less: a valid health insurance for the entire period of studies

Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire — you cannot obtain a permit for longer than your passport's period of validity.

Check the status of your application

Once you have submitted your application you can check if your application or appeal has been registered as received by the Swedish Migration Board or if a decision has been made in your case here

Biometric data

The Migration Board requires that you leave your biometric data (i.e. fingerprints and photograph) to be stored in the residence permit card. You have to be photographed and fingerprinted for each new residence permit card that is issued (extensions included). If you are in Sweden you contact the Migration Board's local permit unit. If you are abroad, contact the embassy in your country of residence. Visit Sweden abroad to find the Swedish Embassy or Consulate closest to you.

After you have been photographed and fingerprinted at the embassy your residence permit (UT) card takes around four weeks to arrive. For information about how to receive your UT card, contact the embassy.

Citizens of certain countries can leave their biometric information upon arrival in Stockholm at the Swedish Migration Board’s permit unit in Solna. You have to book a visit at the Migration Board to do this. Book a visit at the Migration Board here.

When visiting the Migration Board remember to bring your passport and the following information:

  1. Case number (number on your Residence permit decision from the Swedish Migration Board)
  2. Given (First) name
  3. Family name
  4. Your address in Sweden (including 4 digit apartment number)

Extension of residence permit

A residence permit is granted for a maximum of one year at a time. If you need to apply for an extension of a residence permit, you should apply around two months before your current residence permit expires. The extension process may take up to six months.

You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the permit is being processed, however if you travel abroad in connection with your permit expiring, it can be difficult for you to re-enter Sweden before your new permit has been granted. You will find more detailed information here.

Residence permit to seek employment after having completed studies in Sweden

Students who have been granted a residence permit for studies and have completed their studies can apply for a residence permit to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business in Sweden. This residence permit is valid for up to six months. You should apply before your current residence permit for studies expires. Read more about the application process here.

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

As an EU citizen you have the right to study, work or live in Sweden without a residence permit and you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Board. If you are admitted to studies that last more than one year (more than 2 semesters) you can register at the Swedish Tax Agency and apply for a Swedish Personal Number. For further information contact the Swedish Tax Agency

Swiss citizens

If you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit upon arrival. Please visit the Migrations Board's website for more information regarding residence permit for Swiss citizens

Nordic citizens can live and work in Sweden without registration of residence or a work permit.

Hjälpte denna sida dig?
Tack för din åsikt!
Till sidans topp