We are happy to announce that SKF are sponsoring our project. Their bearings and linear actuators will be excellent additions to our car. Welcome aboard!
A lot has happened since the last update. Most notably we have a new internal combustion engine that we have modified. A test rig has been built for the engine where we will identify important parameters for our model of the car.
Speaking of models, the plant model of the car has been improved and can now be simulated with the track in London. Aside from simulations we also went for a test drive IRL outside the Integrated Transport Research Lab here at KTH to verify the previous system and let our driver get used to the car.
Furthermore we have streamlined the auxiliary power system to make it more robust and the design for the new clutch is underway.
More updates to follow!
The work with KTH’s entry for Shell Eco Marathon 2016 is in full swing! We are a team of 16 excited students from Machine Design, Internal Combustion Engine, Lightweight Construction and Mechatronics.
The competition this year will be held in London between the 27th of June and the 3rd of July where we will compete in the class Urban Concept.
The focus this year will be to develop an optimized drive cycle designed for the competition track. We will also improve upon current inefficiencies in the power-train.
To be continued…
ElBa ran its first attempt and the race was valid! The car made it through 10 laps with a total distance of 16117 meters under 36 minutes, which means that the car had an average speed of 27 km/h. ElBa came fourth with a result of 96 km/L . We are going to compete again now after some adjustments, for example the small motor will be used this time instead of the big motor in lower velocities and hopefully this will reduce the fuel consumption and get us to the third place.
Yesterday Elba made it through the safety inspection! A lot of teams have failed to finish the safety inspection, so it’s great that we finally made it!
In the safety inspection 10 different tests were made in order to make sure that all the safety regulations for the competition were satisfied.
Here you can see one of the tests where the brake system was verified.
After the safety inspection was done we had to try run the ICE together with the new motor from ”Dunkermotoren” since we didn’t have time for testing this before our trip down to Rotterdam.
The testing went well and it seems like we have much better efficiency with this new motor. Hopefully it will go well when we test it on the ground today.
In a few hours we will go to the practise tracks and run the car for an hour. Hopefully nothing will break and the motors will do their job.
Sleipner has unfortunately not made it through the safety inspection yet because there are some problems with controlling the hydrogen valve among some other things, but there is a small chance that things will work within the next two hours, if it does then we can find time to have our last chance at the inspection.
More updates coming soon!
The last week involved a lot of testing of the car and unfortunately problems arised. Our biggest issue in terms of running the car is that the angled gear for the ICE breaks. It broke 2 times the last week and we are not certain that it will hold for our stay in Rotterdam.
Another problem which have occured more than once is that the bearings in the clutch system breaks. This happens when the linear actuators press engage the clutch too firm, since the whole construction tends to bend since it is not designed to withstand the forces. However we have managed to tune in a force that is significantly lower but still high enough to engage the clutches sufficiently.
Here is a picture of the happy team showing up the new wheel covers that will hopefully lower the air drag by a bit.
We have also repainted Elba in a very cool way!
Tomorrow morning we are leaving for Rotterdam and we are all very excited about going into the competition!