DS1302 Technical English, Intermediate Level 9.0 credits
Teknisk engelska, mellannivå
This course is dormant.
The course is intended for students with a very good ability in reading and listening to English and a good ability in speaking and writing English. The overall aim of the course is for the student to be able to use English as the main language in working life.
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)B
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
At present this course is not scheduled to be offered.
EU language portfolio levels B2/C1, http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/
On completing the course, the student should be able to:
- identify the differences in style between everyday and formal English and adapt his/her written and spoken language accordingly.
- understand advanced-level English oral presentations of some length (level C1)
- follow an argumentation given in specialised language provided that the topic is more or less familiar. (level C1)
- understand relatively long texts from specialised areas (level C1)
- take active part in discussions and be able to explain and defend his/her opinions on well-known topics. (level B2)
- using correct, varied and appropriate language, give an individually prepared oral presentation on a specialised subject (level B2/C1)
- write reports, e-mails and letters, and essays of a specialised nature (level B2/C1).
Course main content
- Grammar review
- Technical/Academic vocabulary
- Presentation skills
- Listening comprehension (using podcasts)
- Writing technical reports
- Writing summaries, formal letters, job applications and memo/e-mail
- Oral summaries of general and specialized texts
- Debating and describing technical processes
56 lessons divided into 14 sessions x 4 lessons
General entrance requirements for university studies. A pass on the compulsory placement test before applying or a pass in Technical English, Lower Intermediate Level (DS1300 or DS1308) or in Technical English, B1 (DS1309 or DS1312). See our website for the test and more information, www.language.lib.kth.se
Technical English Vocabulary and Grammar, Nick Brieger and Alison Pohl
- ANN1 - Oral Presentation, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- ANN2 - Written Production, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEN1 - Language Proficiency, 3.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
During the course, the students also take two minor midterm tests/quizzes. The combines result of the two tests is converted to a point score which is added to the student's score on the TEN1 exam.
Requirements for final grade
75% attendance. Continuous assessment of classroom work. Written and oral examinations (ANN1; 3 credits, ANN2; 3 credits, TEN1; 3 credits)
ECE/Language and Communication
Elizabeth Keller, Tel. 790 6686, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elisabeth Keller <email@example.com>
The course has limited participation. Students who are not present at course start risk losing their place on the course.
The course programme may be subject to changes and courses with an insufficient number of students can be cancelled, get merged together with other courses or get a reduced number of lessons.
Technical English, Advanced Level
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 07.