DS1393 Chinese, Advanced Beginners Level I 6.0 credits
Kinesiska, fortsättningsnivå I
This course is dormant.
NB: This course is from the autumn 2013 replaced by LS1393 Chinese A1
The course builds on elementary Mandarin Chinese.
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)B
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
PeriodsAutumn 12 P1 (1.5 credits), P2 (1.5 credits)
Spring 13 P3 (1.5 credits), P4 (1.5 credits)
End date2013 week: 22
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures
Number of exercises
Form of studyNormal
Number of placesNo limitation
ScheduleSchedule (new window)
Course responsibleBjörn Kjellgren <firstname.lastname@example.org>
TeacherBjörn Kjellgren, tel. 790 6125, email@example.com
Mandatory course for all students on the programmes with Chinese international profile.
Elective course for all programmes if there are vacancies.
Part of programme
EU language portfolio levels A1/A2, http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- identify tones and syllables in slowly spoken Mandarin Chinese, and understand simple sentences and clause patterns
- understand some simple texts
- use Chinese character books and dictionaries
- write Chinese on a computer
- read aloud unfamiliar texts in Pinyin with an acceptable pronunciation, and carry on simple conversations
- translate simple sentences from Swedish to Chinese
- translate simple sentences from Chinese to Swedish.
Course main content
The course builds on the elementary course with continued study of the most common and important clause patterns focused on ordinary spoken Mandarin and continued study of a core character and lexical vocabulary. In addition the students practice the use of Chinese dictionaries and using Chinese on computers as well as translation and character exercises. The course comprises appr. 240 characters.
General entrance requirements for university studies. A pass on the compulsory placement test before applying or a pass in elementary Chinese, DS1390 or DS1391. See our website for the test and more information, www.kth.se/language
Students on the programmes with Chinese international profile have priority to the course.
1-2 years' study of Chinese
kinesiska@kth, andra boken, Björn Kjellgren, KTH
- TENA - Examination, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TENB - Examination, 1.5 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TENC - Examination, 1.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
- TEND - Examination, 1.5 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
75% attendance. Oral and written proficiency exams (TENA; 1,5 credits, TENB; 1,5 credits, TENC; 1,5 credits, TEND; 1,5 credits)
ECE/Language and Communication
Björn Kjellgren, tel. 790 6125, firstname.lastname@example.org
Björn Kjellgren <email@example.com>
The course has limited participation. Students who are not present at course risk losing their place on the course.
The course programme may be subject to changes and courses with an insufficient number of students can be cancelled or get a reduced number of lessons.
Chinese, Advanced Beginners’ Level II
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 11.