SI1120 Thermodynamics, Basic Course 6.0 credits
Educational levelFirst cycle
Academic level (A-D)A
Grade scaleA, B, C, D, E, FX, F
PeriodsAutumn 13 P1 (6.0 credits)
Start date2013 week: 36
End date2013 week: 44
Language of instructionSwedish
Number of lectures48 (preliminary)
Number of exercises
Form of studyNormal
Number of placesNo limitation
ScheduleSchedule (new window)
Course responsibleBo Cartling
Part of programme
After completing the course you should be able to
- explain the concept of energy and how energy can be stored and converted.
- realize the importance of thermodynamics in everday phenomena
- be familiar with the power and limitations of thermodynamic models
Course main content
Thermodynamics: energy estimation, ideal and real gas laws, kinetic gas theory, energy transport through conduction and radiation, entropy, the laws of thermodynamics, the Carnot cycle, heat engines and heat pumps. Physical models and validiy, dimensional analysis, estimation and error analysis.
Mandatory for first year students. Prerequisits: High-school physics and mathematics
- Young & Freedman, University Physics, chapter 17-20
- Grimvall, G., Basic skills in physics and engineering science, teoretisk fysik, KTH, 2010
- Laboratory instructions.
- LAB1 - Laboratory Work, 1.0 credits, grade scale: P, F
- TENA - Examination, 5.0 credits, grade scale: A, B, C, D, E, FX, F
Requirements for final grade
Written exam (TENA, 5hp), lab part (LAB1; 1 hp)
SCI/Theoretical Undergaduate Physics
Course plan valid from:
Examination information valid from: Autumn 08.