If you were in Stockholm before, you must have been to the historical old town and impressed by the great architectures erected on the islets. Among them, there is a crescent-shape building which carries an special meaning for the nation. “Riksdag” is its name and “heart of the Swedish democracy” is official definition. In this blog I will discover this grandiose building with you, and touch a bit upon the incredible political system and ideology behind it.
ACCESS TO RIKSDAG
Some says that democracy means open and free information available to the public. So it is for Riksdag. You may enter the Riksdag via
Guided Tour (Free of charge)
- Time: 1 PM, every Saturday and Sunday
- Address: Riksgatan 3, Stockholm
- Language: in English or Swedish
- Pre-registration: No
- Website: http://www.riksdagen.se/en/visit-the-riksdag/
2. Public hearing, chamber meetings and debates are open to the public. You just need to reserve more time to arrive due to the security check, and better be able to understand Swedish to make more sense for you existence.
3. Riksdags has its own library , which is also open to public and you may also borrow books.
Being the heart of Swedish democracy, the Riksdag building must be located in the heart of the capital. Inaugurated in 1905, and it is then fused with the nearby national bank in the 80s. Today, Riksdag spans the entire Helgeandsholmen, overlooking the water.